The Binky Barnes Thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Binky Barnes Thread

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:45 pm

This thread is for the discussion of Binky... the character, not the band, we already have that thread.

This has already come up before in a couple of brief chatbox discussions, but I feel it deserves a proper discussion thread: when you boil it down, Binky seems to be a more complicated character than he appears, particularly in the very earliest episodes and the books where he was more of a straight-up bully. The reason for this, being, is that Binky really doesn't fit any of those bully stereotypes or stigmas: one has it that kids bully because they have been horrible lives at home where they don't receive much love... we see this isn't the case with Binky, as his parents dote on him whenever we see him at home. Another one has it that kids bully because they were bullied, so because they were made to feel bad about themselves, they make others feel bad to make themselves feel good... again, not the case with Binky: we haven't ever seen him be bullied by anyone else (in flashbacks, we see he bullied others even as far back as preschool), but feeling bad about himself may come into play, which I'll get to in a minute. Lastly, we've seen from Molly's perspective that some kids bully as a way of commanding respect for others... once again, that doesn't seem to entirely be the case with Binky.

Now then, we know that Binky was held back in Mr. Ratburn's class, and I wonder if maybe that plays some kind of factor in how he used to be such a bully: perhaps he felt because he should have been in fourth grade when he wasn't, and being a year older than everyone else, that he would, "Lay down the law," so-to-speak, and use his age and size to maintain some kind of status over his younger third grade peers. But then again, as I've pointed out before, I think Binky really has some deeper, emotional and psychological issues that could really use some exploring (or, at the very least, a few therapy sessions with Dr. Moms): we see that he has a bit of a crybaby streak, and whenever he's in a dire situation, he gets panicky and anxiety-ridden, and one of the things he does is cry out wanting his mommy... and, on another level, he also seems to have a fear of abandonment: at least twice, he's had fantasies of his parents selling all his belongings and going off on cruises without him... but again, we see Binky's home life is pretty good, and we don't see anyone else tormenting him in anyway, which really gets me to wondering about him at times... dare I suggest that maybe he's actually got some kind of neurological, emotional, or even mental disorder?

Whatever the case or cases may be, Binky needs some analysing!

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Binky Barnes Thread

Post by Roabe on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:05 pm

I think the fact that Binky is coddled by his parents may be why he is (or at least was) a bully. He wants to "prove" to other kids that he's tough. Ot's made more apparent when he hides that he does ballet, even though it's already common knowledge in the school, or when he's hiding his butterfly book behind a comic. Throwing his weight around or treatening to strongarm people is just his way of hiding his sensitive side.

In any case, I'm rather glad they never went with the "he was bullied when he was younger" cliche like they did with Molly.
Roabe
Ass of Jacks
Ass of Jacks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Ah, yes - Binky.  He's such a complex character, he's long been overdue for his turn on the therapist's couch.  I know we've discussed him a little bit in chat a while back and some possible explanations for his behavior.  Here are some thoughts -

To elaborate on the issue of him being held back, I think that might play a strong part in his bullying and explain some of his anxiety issues.  Namely, he may have experienced some trauma and humiliation when his entire peer group moved on ahead of him.  It might have seemed like his entire reality outside of home that gave him comfort and stability had abandoned him.  He may have come to realize just how little control he had over his life.  As a result, he's now plagued with fears of other elements in his life uprooting and leaving him behind.  Fears of his parents abandoning him, fears of losing all of his possessions. etc.

How does this play into his bullying, one might wonder?  Binky may be attempting to assert more control over his environment, and everyone in it, by being so forceful.  If he can strongarm his environment into doing what he wants and make it afraid of him, perhaps it will remain under his control and not abandon him like it did last year.  Rather than being about respect, with Binky, it's more about control.  Of course, he's probably not consciously aware of this, but I think it's a plausible explanation for his behavior.  As mentioned, since Binky does seem to be a good person deep down inside and often has a hard time engaging in cruel activities (hitting Arthur at Molly's command, for instance), I get the idea that his bully side is something more peripheral.  He doesn't really want to hurt his friends/environment too much, since this would be counterproductive and drive away the very thing he's subconsciously trying to hold on to.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:17 pm

Both interesting points, and I can see it both ways: male ego runs deep in creatures with Y chromosomes, even as kids, so I can see Binky putting up a front to hide his sensitive and cultured side, since that would be seen as girly, and other kids (in his mind, at least) would probably tease him about it, or even question his sexuality.

As for trying to maintain control of his environment, that I can see too... and the idea of him being traumatized and humilated at being held back really makes me want a fanfic or something... if fact, was it ever explained, exactly, what the reasons were for holding Binky back? We know Brain was held back in kindergarten (who gets held back in kindergarten?) for emotional reasons, but I doubt that would be the case with Binky... if it was for emotional reasons, I think he'd be pulled out of Ratburn's class, and probably placed in a class for kids with special needs or something. We know that Binky isn't exactly the brightest pickle in the jar, and struggles a bit with studies, which makes me think he was perhaps held back for academic reasons, and maybe that probably dealt a blow to his ego and confidence that maybe he feels he's stupid and it gives him a complex: he's mentioned that he has a private tutor, we see that he can't spell certain words, and we see that he struggles with math (then again, so did I)... I get the feeling that maybe not doing to well in schoolwork in addition to maybe not even really asserting himself in his studies (we also see that he basically brushes off the entire sleepover field trip to the science museum) probably caused his grades to slip considerably, warranting him to be held back, which probably served as a reality check for him.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:24 pm

I've always gotten the idea that Binky was held back due to poor academic performance as well.  Compensating for that by bullying also makes a lot of sense, as does the suggestion that he's just naturally asserting his superior status as the oldest kid in class.

Being a bulldog, of course, there may also be a genetic component at work...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:13 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:
You mean kinda like bunnehs r gluttons? Wink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:03 pm

jus needs get his ass beat prolly.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Check out Binky from the books:

He very much looks like a typical fictional bully, especially as depicted from the Depression era, where boys often wore overalls and oversized newsboy caps.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Now that you mention the Depression era, old-school Binky sorta looks a bit like Norman "Chubby" Chaney from the Our Gang (aka Little Rascals) series from the 1920s/1930s. Chubby usually wore outfits like that.
Roabe
Ass of Jacks
Ass of Jacks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:04 pm

I never saw any of the original Little Rascals films, but I'm reminded of the character "Big Boy" from the movie MY DOG SKIP.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:01 am

I'm probably not the only one who noticed this seemingly random picture of an aging human hanging in Binky's locker in The Buster Report, more prominently than even the photo of his own mother:

He bears a striking resemblance to magician/skeptic James Randi, or perhaps the recently deceased Catholic priest Benedict Groeschel:

A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Francine Frensky on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Binky Barnes. Hah! What a mouse. Let me tell you all about Binky Barnes. He goes around acting like he's Mister Hotshot hanging out with older kids and all that, but the truth? He's scared spitless of Sue Ellen! Sue Ellen! Scrawny little Sue Ellen who can't hit a home run to save her life! Everybody goes on and on about her karate or whatever, but I'm here to tell you that it's all a bunch of hogwash. Remember that one time with the peas in the cafeteria?

Whose ice cream do you think that is all over her pale yellow face?
That's right! I sure let her have it. So much for all that kung-fooey.

Me > Sue Ellen > Binky Barnes. END OF STORY.
Francine Frensky
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:14 am

Snowth Poogle wrote:
A Lotta Moms wrote:

Bunnehs r gluttons and monkeys r bitches.
Ponies r pregnant and poodles r witches!

A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:14 pm

How profound, yet poetic.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:55 am

Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:30 pm

Another nugget of Binky gold at 9:32

Just lyin' there, lost in the void of his despair, feeling inadequate over Sue Ellen faking it.

The karate flip, that is.

"Why did she do it? Why? I don't understand."

Poor Binky. His confidence is shattered.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:43 am

Snowth Poogle wrote:Another nugget of Binky gold at 9:32

Just lyin' there, lost in the void of his despair, feeling inadequate over Sue Ellen faking it.

The karate flip, that is.

"Why did she do it? Why? I don't understand."

Poor Binky. His confidence is shattered.

I know! I should have Binky, Sue Ellen, Fern, Buster, Rattles, Molly, Prunella and Ratburn fight eachother in a 8 Player Smash in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U!

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:36 am

Poor Binky.  It seems like his entire life - whether it's his class status, his bully status, and the status of his manhood - is just one cruel lie after another.  Can we really blame him for seeking refuge in the comfort of dolls and body products?
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:10 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:
Snowth Poogle wrote:
A Lotta Moms wrote:

Bunnehs r gluttons and monkeys r bitches.
Ponies r pregnant and poodles r witches!

Cats are slutty and Dogs are psychotic
Rainbow is magic and Jane read's hypnotic Very Happy  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
There you go xoxoxox
Monkeys OWN

Other people will call me a rebel, but I just feel like I'm living my life and doing what I want to do. Sometimes people call that rebellion, especially when you're a woman.

Joan Jett
ArthurFrancineFan
Slums Mama
Slums Mama

View user profile http://www.fan fiction/jcrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:46 am

So a while back, we were talking about how Binky doesn't really fit into the typical bully stigma that bullies bully because they have pretty poor home lives and bully to take their frustrations out on somebody else to make themselves feel better about themselves, as we've seen Binky's home life is pretty good, and his parents (especially his mother) seem to dot on him pretty well at home.

Apparently, recent studies such that that stigma has actually been incorrect all this time and is nothing more than a myth: now, they're saying bullies bully because they have superiority complexes and ego problems, so they bully simply because they fell they're entitled to do it.

But Binky doesn't really fall into that either: he has some slight ego problem, if only because he feels he needs to maintain appearances, giving how he's bigger and meaner than the rest of his peers, and that probably makes him feel superior over them, but again, for the most part, he's just a big ol' softee; he hasn't got much of an ego to speak of anyway.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:32 pm

Thats quite true, since the little ass hats that bullied me were rich entitled bitches. The worst was a girl named Amy Rose no less. The worst of the female species personified.
Anyway there are not really any sure fire way to tell if someone is going to be a bully or not. Often a lousy upbringing seems to make for one unstable child as I have seen some of the poor kids at preschool who's mothers suddenly dropped them when they were 2 and a half yrs old. Anyway with Binky, I agree with you because he comes from an upper middle class loving family who have adopted a little girl whom he loves to look after and he showed himself to be a decent baby sitter when he looked after four year old Emily. He enjoys Ballet and music, often helps his friends out when they need it like Buster, in Brains biggest Blunder and over all does not show signs of your typical bully. Why would you invite someone like Binky to your birthday or hang out with him after-school if he was the third grade "Bully?"  and beat the kids up.

Aside for idle threats and constantly stealing their food, Binky seems to be nothing more than a big softie with a simple mind really. He does not have an ego at all.

Other people will call me a rebel, but I just feel like I'm living my life and doing what I want to do. Sometimes people call that rebellion, especially when you're a woman.

Joan Jett
ArthurFrancineFan
Slums Mama
Slums Mama

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:05 pm

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:Thats quite true, since the little ass hats that bullied me were rich entitled bitches. The worst was a girl named Amy Rose no less. The worst of the female species personified.
Anyway there are not really any sure fire way to tell if someone is going to be a bully or not. Often a lousy upbringing seems to make for one unstable child as I have seen some of the poor kids at preschool who's mothers suddenly dropped them when they were 2 and a half yrs old. Anyway with Binky, I agree with you because he comes from an upper middle class loving family who have adopted a little girl whom he loves to look after and he showed himself to be a decent baby sitter when he looked after four year old Emily. He enjoys Ballet and music, often helps his friends out when they need it like Buster, in Brains biggest Blunder and over all does not show signs of your typical bully. Why would you invite someone like Binky to your birthday or hang out with him after-school if he was the third grade "Bully?"  and beat the kids up.

Aside for idle threats and constantly stealing their food, Binky seems to be nothing more than a big softie with a simple mind really. He does not have an ego at all.

Holy crap, there is actually a real person named Amy Rose? Maybe she got bullied a lot for sharing the same name as a fictional pink hedgehog?

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:08 pm

No, she did not.
No one had really heard of Amy Rose the hedgehog, this was in 1997 at school. The odd person would say something nasty and she would shoot them down with cruel words and vicious taunts. She was also a racist but she got was coming to her when the Polynesian community she laughed at and called racist names,  beat her up very badly. She deserved it, I do not say that lightly because of all the bullies I have encountered, I have never known one so spoiled, entitled and selfishly callous in my life.

Joan Jett
ArthurFrancineFan
Slums Mama
Slums Mama

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster'sParentsAreDivorce on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 pm

But if Binky was a bully because of his being held back in third grade, why would he bully kids while in Preschool?

Buster'sParentsAreDivorce
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Maybe his parents got divorced.
A Lotta Moms