The Binky Barnes Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: The Binky Barnes Thread

Post by CMSAB11 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:17 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:Maybe his parents got divorced.
no...they Are Divorce

White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike1 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 pm

what?
mike1
King of France
King of France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:00 pm

It's what follows.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Binky is one of the few Arthur characters I absolutely can't can behind of... Could have something to do with me having to deal with bullies during my school years as well, but I kinda hate that guy. Can't decide which is worse: the fact that he has zero justification for being mean unlike - say - Molly does or that the series sometimes portrays his victimizing George as natural and being a-okay. Rolling Eyes
Coyote_Mao
Arthur's Underwear
Arthur's Underwear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Coyote_Mao wrote:Binky is one of the few Arthur characters I absolutely can't can behind of... Could have something to do with me having to deal with bullies during my school years as well, but I kinda hate that guy. Can't decide which is worse: the fact that he has zero justification for being mean unlike - say - Molly does or that the series sometimes portrays his victimizing George as natural and being a-okay. Rolling Eyes
tbh rattles and slink don't have any justification for being mean either...they're just the Bully(tm) characters who really aren't bullies now because they're "reformed"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 am

Well, they aren't exactly treated as important addition to the roster with entire episodes devoted to them either.
Coyote_Mao
Arthur's Underwear
Arthur's Underwear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 am

The show seems to alternate with Binky in general. Judging from the Tough Customer's two separate disbandings (one of them reverted a mere two seasons later), the show's gradually extended lifespan has led to Binky gradually evolving from the terror of the Lakewood kids to a steadfast member of the main cast during S1-5, to an interspersion of the two between S6 and S16, and now a more consistently sympathetic character (although the show continues to falter at being consistent in that regard - in particular, the Binky in Crime and Consequences is virtually day-and-night from the softer variant in Binky's Music Madness a mere five episodes later with no explanation provided for the shift.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
King of France
King of France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:56 pm

This is why I like Binky as a character - he's seen a lot of evolution and development over the course of the series, probably moreso than any of the other characters. And it's quite a stark evolution and development, because it's almost disorienting to go back to Season 1 and see not only is Binky more of a minor character, but he's also more of a straight-up bully as well.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Season 1 Binky is certainly an anomalous viewing experience 20 seasons in hindsight, but I must admit that the progression of Binky's character arc throughout seasons 1-5 is one of my personal favourite elements of the Fallon era (of which there are a ton) owing to the way Binky's character is integrated into each of the earlier seasons.

Binky is introduced at the dawn of season 1 as an antagonistic outsider to the main cast (at the time Arthur, Buster, Francine and Brain, Muffy being a borderline example chiefly connected to Francine) and the scourge of the Lakewood kids - whilst Arthur's Lost Library Book is the first episode in which Binky plays a more significant (and ultimately sympathetic) role, Bully for Binky is the turning point for his character both in establishing his complex relationship with Sue Ellen (a facet that the show had all but forgotten by S6) and his motivations and interests beyond "the antagonistic bully character with a mildly sympathetic slant", a role which the first half of S2 expands upon with Binky Barnes, Art Expert and Night Fright, both of which portray Binky as an imposing but well-intentioned guy at his core, which other shows at the time had attempted, but not with the humanity that Arthur infused into the arc, therefore enabling the crew to pull it off successfully enough. Binky's current dynamic was established during the second half of S2 (possibly to plug the hole in the main cast left by Buster departing for 10 (or 20) episodes), but his dissolution of the Tough Customers in their first (and Brown Dog-infused) incarnation in Arthur's Big Hit pretty much concluded his initial arc, and by S5 he appears to have settled into the role of the slow-witted and rough-around the edges but benevolent cast member (compare Binky in Bully for Binky and Pet Peeved to highlight this). Sure, we got Brother, Can You Spare a Clarinet? in the following season, but it felt oddly akin to an afterthought considering that his evolution from antagonist to well-rounded supporting character was fairly complete by the end of S5 (and leads me to postulate if the crew was intending to conclude the show around this point, with Arthur's Perfect Christmas serving as the more emotional/cinematic finale to the series' run).

Last edited by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
King of France
King of France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Francine, Muffy, and Prunella have seen similar character development to a lesser extent. All three of them were not above being bullies themselves in earlier episodes - especially Francine, who could begin picking on others at the drop of a hat, and as a result, we had episodes like "Draw!" and "Meek for a Week," that put her in her place and gave her a taste of her own medicine. She's still competitive and has a rude streak, but she's considerably more mellow than she was in the beginning.

Muffy was far more of a coniving and scheming little bitch in the beginning as well - she wasn't even above screwing over Francine, despite them being best friends. Again, like Francine, she's still got a competitive streak in her, but she's not as much of the stereotypical rich bitch as she used to be.

Prunella could have easily been a Tough Customer, the way she would bully Arthur and the gang in the beginning, and even perpetuated those stories of Ratburn being an evil, monsterous vampire who eats nails for breakfast. She also was like a milder version of Muffy in that she could be a really snobby little bitch, with that long snout of his turned up in the air a lot. That gradually was all phased out, and it's like she became an entirely different character when Marina was brought into the picture, making her a lot more thoughtful and considerate.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:19 pm

Agreed 100%.  It took a while to see it with Binky, but I really do think that what we've seen of him in recent seasons isn't just him being written out of character, but the result of a long and winding road of development over the course of the past twenty-some years.  As discussed here at length, his phobias and fairweather friend complex make him a veritable jigsaw puzzle.  

Very true regarding many of the other characters, as well.  As I've long pointed out, Francine has had some of the deepest moments in the show when it comes to emotional complexity and nuance. The Good Sport, anyone?  

Naturally, I have to seize the opportunity here to give a shout out to my very favorite redheaded stepchild, with her gradual warming up to some of the main characters, dynamic behind her bullying complex, halfhearted attempt at reformation, and eventual normalization in Take a Hike, Molly where we see that her core personality still remains abrasive (even if she's not actively bullying younger kids as much as she used to).  For a character with so little overall screen time, I'm really impressed with how well she's developed.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:15 am

I saw this recently and thought it was a pretty cute episode.
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:18 pm

Binky 2 hump a$$
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Kerry9Story wrote:Binky 2 hump a$$

Maybe
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:57 pm

No !! that is Very Wrong they have a brother sister relationship!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:06 pm

TGtBatB (aaand the winner for the 'Most Awkward Episode Title Acronym' goes to...) is definitely one of S13's better installments, particularly in its treatment of its unique focal dynamic, even if the episode does not a little too pretentiously dour at times for myself.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
King of France
King of France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Why don't the Barneses (wow English grammar really just did that) just adopt poor ugly Emily...her parents are rarely shown anyway. Marie-Hélène is basically her mom. o_o

I love how it's explicitly stated in the show that no one knows her last name either lmao...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:10 am

CMSAB11 wrote:
No !! that is Very Wrong they have a brother sister relationship!!

I'm sure she didn't mean it in that way Shocked  
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FAGS BAXTER on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 am

OH THAT HUMPY DOG!!!
FAGS BAXTER
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Now there's an astute observation worthy of bringing a tear to my eye...

All that asides, our eloquent Buster doppelganger here isn't actually that far off in terms of articulating Binky's characterization.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
King of France
King of France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:41 pm

CMSAB11 wrote:Why don't the Barneses (wow English grammar really just did that) just adopt poor ugly Emily...her parents are rarely shown anyway. Marie-Hélène is basically her mom. o_o

I love how it's explicitly stated in the show that no one knows her last name either lmao...
Funny, because Emily's almost beautiful enough to fit into the Barnes family tree.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2