Poor Ladonna.....

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Poor Ladonna.....

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Ladonna Compson, a new Arthur character first introduced in Season 16's "Based On a True Story." A rabbit girl from Louisiana. She moved to Elwood City along with her younger brother, Bud Compson. She became the interest of all of Ratburn's students telling stories which were eventually false. She was later forgiven of her stories and became great friends with the other kids.

Unfortunately, this poor character became hated by haters on YouTube videos which showed the Season 16-18 episodes. Some of which accused her of being a "Mary-Sue" from a fan fiction and that her voice is "annoying as hell."

I am gonna explain once again what a "Mary-Sue" has:

1) The girl is favored to the point where all the writers write out all the other characters in favor of her.

2) The character is perfect in every single possible way.

3) The character is super intelligent and/or super overpowered.

4) The character is skilled and mastered at everything she does.

5) Every single Male character has a crush on her.

6) The character has had a tragic past.

7) Both of the character's parents are dead.

Okay now let's analyze this:

1) Ladonna has had a few episodes so has all the OTHER Arthur characters! They don't favorite Ladonna over Francine, Muffy, Fern, Sue Ellen, etc. Or the other Male characters.

2) No she isn't I see flaws in her.

3) Ladonna's intelligence is in the normal range and she isn't "overpowered" either.

4) Again no she isn't.

5) Okay, has Arthur, Buster, Brain, Binky or George have romantic feelings for her? They like her as a friend not as a love interest. Plus, she is only a 3rd Grader. They aren't gonna have a 3rd Grader where she is loved by every single guy.

6) Ladonna seems to have a great life now and before she moved to Elwood City.

7) Ladonna's parents are alive. They can't have someone's parents dying in a children's show like Arthur. That might disturb some young children.

And for those haters saying her voice is annoying, it's just a kids show. It was targeted towards kids. They don't like Arthur? They don't have to watch it!
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Re: Poor Ladonna.....

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Mary Sues and Gary Stus are nothing more than characters with no really defined personality or traits that are just thrown haphazardly into the story, serve no real purpose, and do nothing but take up space.

While I would argue that Ladonna isn't a Mary Sue (I can see why some people would say she's a Scrappy, however), many fans have been complaining about the new(er) characters for years. People complain about the Molinas being a token minority family and serving no real purpose on the show; people complain about Marina being a disabled character who bitches people out for helping her; people complain about Jenna when she was temporarily an Ascended Extra because she's "ugly" and otherwise has "no personality;" people complain about Mei-Lin for adding absolutely nothing to the show; people complain about Cheik for adding absolutely nothing to the show (and for apparently giving us the worst episode in the show's history); people complain about Lydia Fox for being a disabled character shoehorned into the show for one episode because Brain was in a wheelchair; people complain about Carl for being yet another disabled character; and, of course, people complain about Ladonna for being added as a regular character so late into the show's run when the show already has a number of different, varied, and unique characters.

In short, any time the show adds a new character - either a main or a secondary one - people complain. And people are still going to complain, because the show's been on so long, and adding new characters or expanding on background characters seems to show signs of the well running dry for already-established characters.

Just like SESAME STREET, which has been on even longer. When Elmo rose to stardom, people complained because he was taking the spotlight away from classic characters like Big Bird, Ernie and Bert, Cookie Monster, and others; when they added Abby Cadabby, people complained because they saw her as a female Elmo...

Most people don't like new characters. It's a shame, because sometimes certain new characters really can click with a show.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:28 pm

I've always rather liked Ladonna, myself.  She's one of the new additions who's worked out reasonably well.  If I have any mild complaint about her, it might be that she just had a bit too much exposure relative to the rest of the gang after her introduction in Based on a True Story.  Otherwise, I find her quirks amusing and her character interesting and sympathetic enough to warrant her being a part of the main cast.  I look forward to seeing more of her in upcoming episodes.

I've noticed that regarding new characters, or for that matter, even little changes over the course of the show with the Arthur series.  None of it has really bothered me enough to raise a perpetual ruckus over.  After all, the show still has such an abundance of good things to focus on.  Wink
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:12 pm

As I've said before, part of me admittedly does want to hate Ladonna for that very same reason, simply because she's the new kid on the back, however, I honestly can't even bring myself to hate her, because she hasn't done anything to bother or annoy me; her debut episode was a little rocky to begin with, but she (and her family as well) was just being established, and we needed time to get to know her and get used to her. I personally find her just as unique as any of the other characters that have already been established on the show, and she has a lot going for her: she's curious, she's adventurous, she's imaginative, she likes to tell stories (that's very much a big southern trait, southerns love to tell stories)... I can agree that perhaps one problem was since her debut, she may have seen a little overexposure -- especially whenyou consider other newer characters that have been added over the years, they've all be mere secondary characters who may have an occasion Day in the Limelight episode here and there, but Ladonna, on the other hand, was added to the main roster of characters, and has already had a handful of Day in the Limelight episodes since then, so it might be too much too soon... and I've notice we've yet to see her so far this season outside a few glorified background cameo appearances.

That said, there's also already a few nay-sayers who are saying Maria has no reason to be given her own episode, and see her impending episode as nothing more than catering to fans... which, I mean, this show has really been good about that, when you think about it... look at all of the different fan contributions that have been worked into the show: Lydia originated as an FC, and both "The Contest," and "D.W. and Bud's Higher Purpose," were stories fans submitted to the show. One friend of mine says that another reason why he sees Maria's upcoming episode as unnecessary because she's been in the background all these years, so why after all this time to finally shed some light on her, and with the show already having so many established characters with their own personalities and quirks, what's going to make her stand out?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:44 am

well d0nna aint done no wrong she jus cant help it so p33ps need stop bein so fucken mean bout her hella time.  minds me this time my ass be talkin Sam on phone an my fucken shitfuck dad be like BDAAAAHHH KERRY STFU CAUSE U ALWAYS TALKIN but im like FUCK U I JUS GOT FRIENDS AN YOU AINT GOT SHIT U FUCKEN HAMHEAD SHITBELLY FUCKASS SHITASS HOPELESS FUCK! so he TAKES MY GODDAMN PHONE LIKE ALL FUCKEN SUMMER AN I CANT CALL SAM LAURA OR B3CKY but i get it back but dont make it okay, goddamn slob still sit round all fucken day aint workin yellin at the fucken TV an soon they gonna come take the fucken house so i guess imma live w/Sam then cause her Moms like ok u can stay here if shit start goin down.

Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:54 pm

I'm curious about Ladonna's relative absence lately myself, though we know she'll most likely play a central role in Shelter From the Storm.  I hope it's not in reaction to the seemingly endless stream of online complaints about every, single aspect of the last few Seasons.  Neutral

As discussed at length, Maria's episode makes me even more curious.  Aside from exactly what her personality will be like and what her story will involve, I'm curious as to whether or not she'll be added to the main cast, or just used as an occasional secondary.  It all still seems so far off...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:18 pm

If that was the case, they probably would have switched back to hand-drawn animation and brought back Crazy Joe by now. Razz

I have a prediction about Maria: I have a feeling she's going to end up like Jenna was - something of a temporary Ascended Extra, given a little taste of the spotlight, then fade away into the background again. Somehow, Jenna just never was able to gel into the main group like Fern and George was able to, and I kind of see the same thing with Maria. Of course, I think part of the problem with Jenna too was that she didn't have a trait or characteristic to help distinguish her from the rest of the group; aside from her bedwetting problem, her main trait was that she was a tomboyish jock, which we already have with Francine. I can kind of see the concern over Maria not standing out or distinguishing herself, because we already have some many kinds of characters: we've got the ordinary everyman (Arthur), the crazy and weird (Buster), the jock (Francine, Jenna, Marina), the genius (Brain), the snob (Muffy), the bully (Binky, Rattles, Molly, Slink), the brat (D.W.), the cultured (Brain, Fern, Binky), the glutton (Buster), the bookworm (Arthur, Fern, Marina), the sensitive (Binky, Molly), the talented (Binky, Fern, George), the chatterbox (Ladonna), the quiet (Fern, James), the kooky (Buster, Binky, Prunella, Ladonna), the rebels (Binky, Rattle, Molly, the Tibbles), the disadvantaged (Francine), the ethnic (the Molinas, Cheik), the disabled (George, Marina, Lydia, Carl), the adventurous (all of them at one point or another)... so, it's going to be hard for Maria to find her place if they plan on utilizing her beyond just her special episode.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:26 pm

I could see that happening with Maria, too.  

With Jenna, I did get somewhat of a unique feel for her that wasn't entirely present in other characters.  She came off as someone who was on Francine's level as an athlete, only unlike Francine, she never let it go to her head.  Nor did she make it the center of her life.  She also shared some of George's meekness, but seemed more a victim of circumstance who was more apt to help people out of genuine kindness rather than just being wishy-washy.  In that regard, she was starting to fit into the "ugly on the outside, beautiful on the inside" mold, but not so much that it seemed like a flat-out stereotype.  I think she could have been developed along those lines into a reasonably unique and interesting character had she remained in the spotlight.

Anyway, I think the best they could do for Maria is to perhaps put a unique spin on some of the preexisting traits she'll likely share with some of the others.  Time will tell.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:Lydia originated as an FC, and both "The Contest," and "D.W. and Bud's Higher Purpose," were stories fans submitted to the show.
If you mean "The Tattletale Frog", we don't know for sure that it was inspired by a fan idea.
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile http://wikia.com/w:c:arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:23 pm

Well... whichever episode that had D.W. and Bud being too short, I believe that was the result of a Facebook contest.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:Well... whichever episode that had D.W. and Bud being too short, I believe that was the result of a Facebook contest.
Oh, wow. I wasn't even thinking of that. The one you are talking about is indeed "D.W. & Bud's Higher Purpose".

https://www.facebook.com/PBSArthur/photos/a.501573345202.387485.43562115202/10152917330600203/?type=1 Here's the Facebook contest. I can't find anything about roller coasters, but there is one similar to the plot of Super Saver except with Muffy's family instead of Arthur's.

I was thinking of "The Tattletale Frog" because Bud takes his hat off in that episode. Then again, his hat was also removed in Higher Purpose, only for a much shorter time.
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile http://wikia.com/w:c:arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Magnezonomon wrote:
I was thinking of "The Tattletale Frog" because Bud takes his hat off in that episode.
Oh man, I forgot about the obsession with Bud taking off his hat... Rolling Eyes

I'm glad I don't have anybody who obsesses over me taking off my hat, especially since it's crazy glued to my head. Razz[/quote]

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:47 am

I will confess that about 10-12 years ago, I honestly was actually pretty indifferent to the Molinas and Marina myself - I didn't outright dislike them, but... I really didn't like them. A lot of it kind of had to do with the fact that up till years later, my PBS always skipped Season 6 altogether in rotation (I'm going to assume Mark Rendall redubbing all of Arthur's dialogue for that whole season had something to do with it), so for me, I really had no idea who these people were or where they came from all of the sudden... who was this Alberto guy who was upset the Tibbles broke his Bionic Bunny action figure? Who was this Vecita girl that D.W. was acting like a mentor to? Since when did Prunella have a blind friend? I missed quite a bit of information for years, so when I finally got to see Season 6 (even though I don't like it), that really finally shed a lot of light on these new additions to the cast: I didn't know Mr. Sipple had moved away and that the Molinas moved into his place, nor did I know Prunella had received a braille copy of Henry Skreever, then just bump into Marina at the library one day.

Of course now, I should probably check with the Wiki to answer some more questions of mine since I tend to skip over Seasons 9-15 (I'm somehow able to tolerate half of Season 13), like since when did Buster own his own community garden?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:13 am

she cant help it mabbe?
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Aint she a southern stereotype? ....well she appeared that way
Shes nice and makes up stories. Oh and she likes blizzards and winter Very Happy
Again she is a hated character on FF.net Sad Sad I still dont know why. Over all shes a nice bunneh
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.fan fiction/jcrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:33 pm

She's not too stereotypical: her accent is certainly exaggerated, but other than that, she's pretty accurate to what we're like - we like to tell stories, though many southerns don't like snow at all, they freak the hell out over it (I love it though).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:48 am

LoL
My best friend has traveled around the south, because shes an avid Storm Chaser, she went to Texas and Memphis and off course good ol Louisiana. New Orleans was a bit much for her, you see shes a good gal and Bourbon street had no appeal to her.
Storm season seems to be the main season right? For you guys?
Yeah she met some people in Galveston who hated the damn snow as they put it.
She loved her tornado/storm chasing....
she should have gone to West Memphis AR though IMO.

Shes a friendly girl is Ladonna, southern charm? Hospitality?
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:10 pm

I think you have to head out more towards the midwestern plains, or down into the gulf states like Mississippi and Alabama if you want to chase after storms. Where I'm at, the month of April is generally the only month of the year where we experience really severe weather . . . of course where I live, we're sandwiched in between the Cumberland Plateau on one side and the Smoky Mountains on the other, so whenever severe weather blows through, they're the ones who usually take most of the beating, and we just kind of get what's left over.

Nah, our four seasons down here are: almost summer, summer, still summer, road work. People always joke the north is always cold, well it's always hot down here. Summer usually arrives around April/May then doesn't go away till mid-October usually for us. Half of the time, it's already practically spring after Valentine's Day. That's not to say we don't get our share of bitter cold winters as well, they're just usually few and far between. An average winter for us is usually highs in the 40s is about as low as it typically gets, and an average winter snowfall is usually one overnight snow that'll dump a whoppin' three inches (that's right, and people down here freak out over a flurry) that promptly melts the next morning when the sun comes out. The deepest I've ever seen down here is about eight inches, and that was this past winter, when we had a sudden snowstorm around the last of February that dumped a layer of ice, followed by a layer of snow, that was covered in another layer of ice, and that stuck around for a few days because the air was so cold, the ice and snow took a while to melt away.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:15 pm

My problem with Ladonna isn't her character itself. She's actually well-written as a matter of fact and has a good personality.

My main gripe is that she was given so much character development in such a short span of time. Same with the half dozen or so relatives we've been introduced to. We know their names and their backstories. Meanwhile we have characters that have been with the show since day one, and we've hardly been given more than an episode or two showing their relatives.

I don't dislike Ladonna, I just don't like how she was presented.
Roabe
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:20 pm

I believe that's why a lot of people do genuinely dislike Ladonna, because she's not just another minor character who was added to the show for one specific reason or another, she became a main character, and has already had more episodes dedicated to her that many of the minor characters introduced over the years have had. It's more or less like Ladonna wasn't just gradually worked into the show, it's almost as if she was shoe-horned in.

And again, another gripe with that is it's so late into the show's run: after 16 seasons, with as many characters as the show already has - both main and minor - why introduce an entirely new main character so suddenly and so late into the series run? That's actually some people's complaint with "Maria Speaks" as well: she's been on the show since day one, and always as a background extra; as many characters as the show has, many of whom also started out as silent extras that were eventually given more prominent personalities and positions among the cast (Fern, George, Jenna, etc.) why give Maria a day in the limelight after all these years? Of course we now know she's a stutterer, so that answers the question of how will she stand out amongst a cast of characters that already have their own unique and established personalities.

But again, this is a problem with many long-running shows: whenever new characters are introduced in such a haphazardous way as Ladonna was, there's going to be outcry over it. SESAME STREET made no secret the main reason they were adding Abby Cadabby to the show nine years ago was to have a female Muppet with Elmo's level of star power so little girls watching could have a female character they could identify with.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:01 pm

Yes this is true
Ladonna has two siblings, parents and relatives!!
George has a dad, Fern as a mother? Jenna has......?
Buster is a MAIN character and we hear little to nothing of his cousins/aunts and occasionally they toss us a bone with his Father flying in.
Francine has relatives. Arthur has relatives. Muffy has parents and sibling who pops up from time to time. Other than that, its true Ladonna even gets a proper last name that does not change like Georges Sad
I like Ladonna. Shes nice, shes funny and over all a kind girl.
Binkys family were shown adopting a little girl, Mei ling. A once in a life time episode
Sue ellen has a cousin or brother right? Why dont we see him?
I thought George and Ferns parents had divorced since you see so little of them. you see Doria Walters and Neil Lungdren but that is all
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:I think you have to head out more towards the midwestern plains, or down into the gulf states like Mississippi and Alabama if you want to chase after storms. Where I'm at, the month of April is generally the only month of the year where we experience really severe weather . . . of course where I live, we're sandwiched in between the Cumberland Plateau on one side and the Smoky Mountains on the other, so whenever severe weather blows through, they're the ones who usually take most of the beating, and we just kind of get what's left over.

Nah, our four seasons down here are: almost summer, summer, still summer, road work. People always joke the north is always cold, well it's always hot down here. Summer usually arrives around April/May then doesn't go away till mid-October usually for us. Half of the time, it's already practically spring after Valentine's Day. That's not to say we don't get our share of bitter cold winters as well, they're just usually few and far between. An average winter for us is usually highs in the 40s is about as low as it typically gets, and an average winter snowfall is usually one overnight snow that'll dump a whoppin' three inches (that's right, and people down here freak out over a flurry) that promptly melts the next morning when the sun comes out. The deepest I've ever seen down here is about eight inches, and that was this past winter, when we had a sudden snowstorm around the last of February that dumped a layer of ice, followed by a layer of snow, that was covered in another layer of ice, and that stuck around for a few days because the air was so cold, the ice and snow took a while to melt away.

Yes she went midwest.
She was in Ohio, Arizona and Mississippi, hence Louisiana being so close. She disliked Alabama. The southern states were pretty interesting but she said texas was HUGE, and alot of people were walking around with guns. She nearly fainted. LOL shes a peace loving animal rights activist so for her it was a wake up call. She is AFRICA at the moment.
I should play her
"In my africa...." LOL
Her favorite place is Tanzania and a secluded animal sanctuary in Johannesburg
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Jenna's father's been shown at least once in "Jenna's Bedtime Blues" - he evidentally had a bedwetting problem as a kid too.

Sue Ellen has a penpal in Tibet who has been referenced at least twice; she also has her former babysitter, Carla, who lives in Crown City.

Fern's father apparently exists, but I don't recall ever seeing him or what episode he's in. But yes, I too thought for the longest time that Doria was a single mother, but she apparently isn't - I guess Fern;s dad just works a lot or something. Mrs. Lundgren has perhaps one of the cartooniest looking designs in this entire in-universe.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:03 pm

She does? do you have a pic of her LOL
Well as I mentioned, aside from Ladonna, Arthur and Francine...

Really you would think Buster would have a little more family aside from his Uncle
but hey at least he has an uncle, even he only appeared the once. Very Happy
Bitzis Date
now that would be a good episode, keeping it G rated. She goes out on a date with a guy she met through work or even online.... and Buster likes him because he is a big kid but perhaps Bitzi realizes she only wanted to date the guy for her sons sake....oooh what an episode.
who else gets their family members mentioned?
Chip Crosswire got an episode with Catherine. He was in a golf episode against Alberto who has a family? but is a minor character!!!
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:36 pm

I don't like Alabama either. Had to drive through the state (and I mean through the entire state from north to south) to get to the Florida panhandle for a family vacation 12 years ago: basically, it was nothing but miles, and miles, and miles, and miles of nothingness! I mean, honestly, if you had car trouble or broke down driving through that state, you would seriously be S.O.L. Texas, my mom has family in the state, and she describes the entire state as being one of the most unfriendly places she's ever been . . . and I can kind of see that, it seems like a number of Texans automatically have a superiority complex, but then again, Texas has, historically, succeeded from the union and has been its own separate country before. But, again, not all Texans are that way. My little cyber sister is from Texas, and she's a real sweetheart.

Here's Mrs. Lundgren, c/o the Arthur Wiki:

I noticed there's another earlier design for Mrs. Lundgren here:

I like the earlier design a lot better.

As for other parents or family members, off the top of my head, both Rattles's and Slink's mothers are seen briefly in "Thanks a lot, Binky!" when Binky snitches on Rattles for attempting to rollerblade over ten bikes. Molly and James's parents have been seen as well, as we've discussed they definitely look like a pair of slacker/bum parents that may explain why Molly and James are the way they are. We've seen Marina's mother, but never her father, there's a chance we might though. Maria's mother's been seen a few times in the background, picking her up from school, or at the Sugar Bowl with her, among other things. I can't remember if we've ever seen Emily's parents, but I know we've seen her nanny before. In one episode, Marianne from D.W.'s preschool was mistakenly shown to be Fern's little sister. On that token, I believe we've seen the parents of D.W.'s classmates before. There's Buster's big brother Mike, who isn't really his big brother, just through the big brothers/big sisters program.

And that's actually a great idea for an episode, I really think in this day and age it we could use an episode about hooking up/meeting people online: PBS Kids shows always seem to be really technologically behind, and ARTHUR's no exception . . . why do they always treat email like IM - which people don't even do anymore?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top