The Crystal Bird

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Crystal Bird

Post by Nope on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:33 am

In Arthur's Perfect Christmas, the glass crystal bird is an ornament owned by Mrs. Read that Arthur (or D.W.) broke that Arthur wanted to replace. He accidentally breaks the replacement and it is presumed that Mrs. Read never found out since Arthur and Fred gave her the tea set.

WELL, NOT QUITE.

In Season 6's "Arthur and Los Vecinos", Mrs. Read remarks about a crystal bird (same type) that Mrs. Molina owns. Her lines go as follows:
"I had a crystal bird just like that. Then of course the kids got to it - twice actually."

It seems odd to just shoehorn it in there. Prior to that, it was assumed she didn't find out about the botched replacement, or she didn't care. This is just one of many problems in this episode - Arthur and D.W. gripe considerately more than usual, and just about a simple visit to the neighbors. Then Arthur stupidly mistakes the Molina's family visit for a party. And let's not even start about Mrs. Read's unusually hostile attitude regarding the Molina's - maybe she wanted to make a good first impression (those are always important), but it comes off as something else, something much less PC.

Ah, well - that's post-lobotomy Arthur for ya. You just can't gut the creative talent (Joe Fallon, et al) and expect others to keep watching the show when the story-telling and overall production values begin to nosedive. I've already gone over the insanity that is Arthur's world trying to make itself more "real", but I digress. The glassblowers should have used a stronger material for those birds - that'd solve all our issues.  pig

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Crystal Bird

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:05 pm

I always sort of wondered about the lesson of the original episode, which seems to say that it's perfectly okay not to tell someone you destroyed something of theirs as long as you replace it before they find out.

Apparently Jane has the house bugged...but I'm sure David found that out the hard way when she confronted him for wearing her clothes during the day after she left for work.  No wonder she has a drinking problem.  

But back into serious mode, that Molina party episode did make the Reads seem, well, petty and over-reactive.  Even if it hadn't turned out to be a Molina family party, seriously, it came off like the Reads think they're somehow entitled to be invited to everyone' parties all the time, otherwise it's some sort of insult.  I found this particularly disturbing because I've had to suffer people like that in real life on more than one occasion.

As a whole, I've never been particularly impressed with the Molina episodes.  They seem somehow too removed from the main atmosphere of the show, sort of like Kate and Pal.  It's not that they're from a different culture, which can often be a great setting for character development, relationships, etc. Here, it just doesn't work at all.  I think it's the fact that they're just plain and boring.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Wasn't there an episode about them breaking the bird?

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:31 pm

MO-OM! ARTHUR JUST *Bleep*ED YOUR FAVORITE *Bleep*ASS BIRD!

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:12 pm

"ARTHUR DID IT, ARTHUR DID IT!"

The only "episode" that originally featued the bird was the Christmas special ("Arthur's Perfect Christmas"). I don't think it appeared in any episodes prior to that.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:48 am

well hes a fucken dolt.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile