Season 1 Reruns

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Season 1 Reruns

Post by MagicToolBox on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:37 pm

So there is a rumor that Season 1 will not be part of the regular US rerun rotation anymore because it's too dated. Is there any concrete confirmation to this? Obviously they're not fond of including it in the reruns since it has not been part of the regular reruns since 2011-12 (and "Arthur's Eyes/Francine's Bad Hair Day" has not aired since 2010), even though they're finally starting to rerun older seasons again. But is there proof of this anywhere before we jump to conclusions?

I ask this because PBS thankfully kept the tradition of airing "Arthur's First Sleepover/Arthur's New Year's Eve" every December 31st (whenever it falls on a weekday) even this year. I have a theory that we could be seeing Season 1 in the rotation again someday...

Has anyone else noticed that the older seasons' broadcast masters were updated this past month? The PBS funding credits, bumpers, and PBS Kids promos are now in 16:9 on HD PBS stations (not letterboxed) and the credits were remastered to match the Seasons 16-present credits, even being in 16:9.  The only thing that's still in 4:3 are the episodes themselves and the theme. The Postcards From Buster promos were finally replaced and episodes are now followed by the "Which Arthur Character Are You?" segment that's used in current seasons. When "Sleepover/New Year's Eve" aired this year, it was updated like the other older seasons with the remastered promos and credits. The funding credits, while also updated, were actually different from those of the later seasons' in that they mention "The National Endowment for Children's Educational Television" and "The Arthur Vining Davis Foundation", which are no longer mentioned in reruns of other seasons, but indeed were mentioned in the credits of the original Season 1 airings. In the new version, Buster's voice reads them very fast. So this makes me wonder if updated masters of the other Season 1 episodes exist at PBS.

In 2013, for the last time, PBS aired "D.W. Thinks Big/Arthur Cleans Up" in honor of Earth Day (their go-to Earth Day episode would later be "Speak Up, Francine!/Waiting For Snow") and the promos after the episode were very dated compared to the other reruns since Season 1 had not rerun in about two years compared to most of the other seasons. The promos were still for PBS Kids Go! which was being phased out at this point (and AFAIK, is now phased out of the promos for all seasons' reruns of Arthur) and still featured shows like Maya & Miguel which had ended long ago. They seemed to be from around 2005-06 since I remember seeing the same promos at the end of Maya & Miguel back when it was on.

Now that the broadcast for at least the Season 1 finale was updated to match the other seasons' credits and promos, it's very possible that they did this for the rest of Season 1 and we could be seeing more Season 1 reruns in the near future. Otherwise, the episode still probably would have had the outdated PBS Kids Go! promos as if this was a "special occasion" airing with the intention of never airing regularly again (Remember how Arthur's Perfect Christmas still had the original 2000 funding credits for years after its original airing? They weren't updated until its 2013 airing. Similarly, last Christmas, one of my PBS stations had a special airing of the holiday episode of the long-gone series Clifford's Puppy Days which still had the old circa-2006 promos and funding credits). I don't think PBS would have gone through all the trouble to "remaster" the episode if it was only going to be aired once a year at best.

So here's hoping Season 1 isn't being paid dirt after all. Smile

MagicToolBox
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Season 1 Reruns

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:50 am

MagicToolBox wrote:In 2013, for the last time, PBS aired "D.W. Thinks Big/Arthur Cleans Up" in honor of Earth Day (their go-to Earth Day episode would later be "Speak Up, Francine!/Waiting For Snow")
That's actually pretty odd, considering that "Prunella the Packrat" takes place around Earth Day, or "The Cherry Tree" which talks about global warming, or "Arthur's Big Hit" because there's a poster in one of the hallway scenes that says Earth Day was coming up soon.
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile http://wikia.com/w:c:arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by WatteauMasterDetective on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:51 am

My country Malaysia used to show the Season 1 episodes on the local channels and Disney Channel Asia and I'm pretty sure it received positive feedback.

I wish we have it here again for the sake of the younger generations.
WatteauMasterDetective
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Lately, I've been noticing that the first several Season 2 episodes seem to be skipped in the rotation anymore as well. I'm not saying they're entirely gone, but I just don't see them in rotation nearly as much as the rest of Season 2, usually starting with "Water and the Brain / Arthur the Unfunny" and onward.

I think 2011 was the last time "D.W. Goes to Washington / Arthur's Mystery Envelope" was aired on Memorial Day, which used to be a tradition much like "Arthur's First Sleepover / Arthur's New Year's Eve" airing on, well, New Year's Eve.

I'm almost certain I've seen "Arthur Makes a Movie / Go to Your Room, D.W.," "Arthur's Underwear / Francine Frensky, Olympic Rider," "Buster Baxter, Cat Saver / Play it Again, D.W.," "Arthur's TV-Free Week / Night Fright," and "D.W.'s Deer Friend / Buster Hits the Books" each at least once in the last couple of years, but I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen "Arthur Meets Mister Rogers / Draw!," "Binky Barnes, Art Expert / Arthur's Lucky Pencil," "D.W. the Picky Eater / Buster and the Daredevils," "Arthur Vs. the Piano / The Big Blow-up," or "Lost! / The Short, Quick Summer."

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:55 pm

MagicToolBox, I was noticing much of the same. I received a glimmer of hope that Season 1 may air again someday once I saw the updated credits/funding on the New Years episode #130. Seems silly to update one episode of a season, although I suppose that's the only episode they air from Season 1 anyways... but still! There may be hope! Very Happy

Snowth Poogle wrote:Lately, I've been noticing that the first several Season 2 episodes seem to be skipped in the rotation anymore as well. I'm not saying they're entirely gone, but I just don't see them in rotation nearly as much as the rest of Season 2, usually starting with "Water and the Brain / Arthur the Unfunny" and onward.

I think 2011 was the last time "D.W. Goes to Washington / Arthur's Mystery Envelope" was aired on Memorial Day, which used to be a tradition much like "Arthur's First Sleepover / Arthur's New Year's Eve" airing on, well, New Year's Eve.

I'm almost certain I've seen "Arthur Makes a Movie / Go to Your Room, D.W.," "Arthur's Underwear / Francine Frensky, Olympic Rider," "Buster Baxter, Cat Saver / Play it Again, D.W.," "Arthur's TV-Free Week / Night Fright," and "D.W.'s Deer Friend / Buster Hits the Books" each at least once in the last couple of years, but I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen "Arthur Meets Mister Rogers / Draw!," "Binky Barnes, Art Expert / Arthur's Lucky Pencil," "D.W. the Picky Eater / Buster and the Daredevils," "Arthur Vs. the Piano / The Big Blow-up," or "Lost! / The Short, Quick Summer."

Keep in mind that during the time of summer double episodes, if your station didn't air two episodes daily, then you were missing half of the scheduled episodes. I am fairly sure that the entirety of season 2 was aired last year with the odd exception of "Binky Barnes, Art Expert / Arthur's Lucky Pencil". Not sure why this was skipped.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MagicToolBox on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:37 pm

According to KET's site (which did air the double run of Arthur through November), only four episodes from Season 2 aired in 2014:

2x13: Water and the Brain / Arthur the Unfunny (March 31)
2x09: Lost! / The Short, Quick Summer (October 13)
2x18: Arthur vs. The Very Mean Crossing Guard / D.W.'s Very Bad Mood (October 27)
2x20: How the Cookie Crumbles / Sue Ellen's Little Sister (October 28)

All the other Season 2 episodes have not rerun since between January and May of 2012, except for D.W. Goes to Washington / Arthur's Mystery Envelope which aired on November 6 of that year in honor of Election Day (Before that, it also aired on July 4 of that year. They were fond of airing it on patriotic holidays). No Season 2 episodes aired at all in 2013. Also, only five episodes from Season 3 aired in 2014:

3x01: Buster's Back / The Ballad of Buster Baxter (November 5)
3x02: D.W. All Fired Up / I'd Rather Read It Myself (November 6)
3x03: Arthur Goes Crosswire / Sue Ellen and the Brainasaurous (November 7)
3x04: Background Blues / And Now Lets Talk to Some Kids (November 10)
3x15: Arthur and D.W. Clean Up / The Long, Dull Winter (December 22)

The oldest season to air all of its episodes in 2014 was Season 4. There is also a "tradition" of airing 1001 Dads / Prunella Prediction from that season on the Friday before Father's Day.

MagicToolBox
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Gerbil on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:53 am

Joe Gerbil
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:24 am

seen em.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:38 pm

MagicToolBox wrote:According to KET's site (which did air the double run of Arthur through November), only four episodes from Season 2 aired in 2014:

2x13: Water and the Brain / Arthur the Unfunny (March 31)
2x09: Lost! / The Short, Quick Summer (October 13)
2x18: Arthur vs. The Very Mean Crossing Guard / D.W.'s Very Bad Mood (October 27)
2x20: How the Cookie Crumbles / Sue Ellen's Little Sister (October 28)

All the other Season 2 episodes have not rerun since between January and May of 2012, except for D.W. Goes to Washington / Arthur's Mystery Envelope which aired on November 6 of that year in honor of Election Day (Before that, it also aired on July 4 of that year. They were fond of airing it on patriotic holidays). No Season 2 episodes aired at all in 2013. Also, only five episodes from Season 3 aired in 2014:

3x01: Buster's Back / The Ballad of Buster Baxter (November 5)
3x02: D.W. All Fired Up / I'd Rather Read It Myself (November 6)
3x03: Arthur Goes Crosswire / Sue Ellen and the Brainasaurous (November 7)
3x04: Background Blues / And Now Lets Talk to Some Kids (November 10)
3x15: Arthur and D.W. Clean Up / The Long, Dull Winter (December 22)

The oldest season to air all of its episodes in 2014 was Season 4. There is also a "tradition" of airing 1001 Dads / Prunella Prediction from that season on the Friday before Father's Day.

Actually, according to KET, the double episodes ended in September. While the national PBS feed continued the double episodes through November, KET opted to air WordGirl at 4:30pm instead of the second episode of Arthur. Most of the season 2 shows were aired during this 4:30pm timeslot, so they were not shown on KET. Be careful looking at KET (or any site with schedule archives) because many do not follow the main PBS schedule all day. Check out KLRU's site on Oct. 14, which was, in fact, the last time D.W. Goes to Washington / Arthur's Mystery Envelope aired. http://www.klru.org/schedule/?date=2014-10-14
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:19 pm

I hope not I like the first season. Mad
Buster & Molly Lover
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com