Lance Armstrong Episodes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lance Armstrong Episodes

Post by Arthurfan21 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:09 pm

I posted this on the old Arthur forum (http://elwoodcitycentral.createaforum.com/arthur-episodes/future-of-the-lance-armstrong-episodes/) but there was little response there so I'm brining the topic here as I've found out that most of the original users had migrated to this website.

As I have stated on the old forum, what will be the future of the Lance Armstrong Episodes since PBS no longer airs them on television and what will happen to the episodes Operation D.W. and The Frensky Family Fiasco since those episodes aired alongside the banned Lance Armstrong episodes.

Also does anyone on here thought it was odd that the media never mentioned Lance Armstrong's guest appearances on the Arthur series nor did they interview Marc Brown or the production team about the cheating scandal.

Arthurfan21
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lance Armstrong Episodes

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:43 am

Again, welcome aboard!  My apologies for the somewhat delayed response on this one (I do try to get to every post if possible, but I've been a little busy lately).  Anyway, glad you've joined up.  Very Happy

Regarding the Lance Armstrong episodes, it's truly unfortunate since The Great MacGrady was so touching.  I haven't seen it aired on my station since the scandal broke a few years back, so I'm not sure if it's been shelved indefinitely at this point or what.  Some of the other regulars here are much more up-to-date with episode airings, rotations, etc. than I am, so hopefully they might be able to provide some additional insight into the matter.

It is a bit odd that there was never any mention of the Armstrong Arthur episodes being pulled or how that was dealt with.  I've heard that the episode featuring Phillip Seymour Hoffman was likewise pulled after his death from a heroin overdose, but I'm not 100% sure on that one either.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:03 am

A Lotta Moms wrote: I've heard that the episode featuring Phillip Seymour Hoffman was likewise pulled after his death from a heroin overdose, but I'm not 100% sure on that one either.
Nope, it was on a month or two ago.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:02 am

You know, I looked up to Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods when I was younger. It's a shame that the former admitted to doping. He was a real inspiration for surviving his cancer and continuing to cycle.

I remember when The Great MacGrady first aired, they aired it everyday for a whole week as part of Breast Cancer Awareness month. At that same time, I was going through a rough time in my personal life because I started getting severe anxiety and couldn't function well. I was a Sophomore in High School during this period of the 2009-2010 school year.

And with Tiger Woods, you all know what happened with him.

Last edited by The Pop Cult Gamer on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding more text)
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:32 am

I stand pleasantly corrected on No Acting, Please.  It's good to know it's still in circulation, despite its guest star's shameful fate.  

I agree, it's always unfortunate when an otherwise inspirational figure turns out to be mostly a fraud like that.  It's particularly unfortunate because it takes a lot of very thoughtful and meaningful works down with it, like it did with this particular episode.  The Great MacGrady was one of those episodes that took a very serious issue and presented it effectively without being preachy or melodramatic.  Instead, it kept things simple and realistic.  Sadly, many new fans will never have a chance to see it unless that manage to find it online/order it through Amazon or something like that.  

Thanks a lot, Lance.  No
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:20 am

A Lotta Moms wrote:I stand pleasantly corrected on No Acting, Please.  It's good to know it's still in circulation, despite its guest star's shameful fate.  

I agree, it's always unfortunate when an otherwise inspirational figure turns out to be mostly a fraud like that.  It's particularly unfortunate because it takes a lot of very thoughtful and meaningful works down with it, like it did with this particular episode.  The Great MacGrady was one of those episodes that took a very serious issue and presented it effectively without being preachy or melodramatic.  Instead, it kept things simple and realistic.  Sadly, many new fans will never have a chance to see it unless that manage to find it online/order it through Amazon or something like that.  

Thanks a lot, Lance.  No

There are consequences for cheating. As a result, he was stripped of his winnings.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:27 am

I posted this on ECC2 in February 2014, but, like almost everything else on ECC2, it was mostly unnoticed. Back then, the PBS Kids website feature Arthur's Family Health was new. I started searching the site right away for various images. Mostly 9 Story artwork of characters.

Anyway, I found a PDF that looked familiar. Having searched the PBS Parents site for images and information, I had previously found a PDF about dealing with cancer, which included a version of "The Great MacGrady". In this new Family Health website, there is a new PDF that is exactly the same as the old one except for one major difference: Lance Armstrong is not in it. Instead, they had Harry Mills as the inspirational cancer survivor.

Instead of Francine getting Lance's email address from Binky, who had previously met him 2 seasons before, she gets Harry's from Buster. She even mentions that she met Harry when she worked at the newspaper for a day in "Citizen Frensky". I thought that was a nice touch.
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile http://wikia.com/w:c:arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:36 pm

Fascinating.  Looks like Lance was pretty much given the old Soviet photoshop treatment.

On that note, poor Harry Mills.  Seriously, this guy just keeps getting dumped on with the worst life has to offer.  Cancer, getting dumped by Bitzi, being stuck in an industry that's expected to shrivel up over the next decade...

For a little while there, it seemed like he was well on track to becoming Buster's new dad, too. Crying or Very sad
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:38 pm

That's very interesting to see Harry Mills inserted into the storyline now. Would be cool to see this episode revamped to have him in it, so that the show could air.

I've said this before somewhere too, but just to reiterate for those who may not have heard...

My PBS station runs a 24/7 kids channel which airs shows aside from the national PBS schedule. This channel frequently airs much older versions of programs, as it appears they record/save episodes and have a library of episodes to choose from. For Arthur in particular, the channel usually airs select seasons for months at a time, then either rotates in a different season or continues the same selection. I'm fairly certain all the Armstrong episodes have aired on this channel recently (ie the past year or so). But again, this is outside of the main feed of shows from PBS, so the vast majority of local stations have not aired these "controversial"? episodes since the incident.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthurfan21 on Mon May 11, 2015 10:44 am

It seems nobody answered about the other half of the question which is what is the fate of the episodes Operation D.W. and The Frensky Family Fiasco.

Arthurfan21
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Tue May 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Unless they were later paired with other episodes, I'd suppose they were dumped as well.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri May 22, 2015 11:42 am

Usually when this happens to a cable cartoon that follows the two 11-minute entries per episode format, or even the A-B-A format, the one entry that gets pulled is simply replaced with a different entry while the others remain intact, but in PBS's case, they seem to yank the entire half-hour episode instead.

I mean like you know how they usually always play "Flea to Be You and Me / Kiss and Tell" on Valentine's Day, or when they used to play "D.W. Goes to Washington / Arthur's Mystery Envelope" on Memorial Day? "Flea to Be You and Me" really doesn't have anything to do with V-Day, nor does "Arthur's Mystery Envelope" have anything to do with Memorial Day, it seems like they would pair the other respect entries with another that better reflects those respective holidays - again, like cable cartoons do.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:34 pm

I really loved Room to Ride, and I looked forward to watching it on election day. Of course nearly every long runner has episodes that do not get aired for reasons like this. 4 Kids TV would air some overly dark episodes in Europe, but not in America. Fortunately I found them on line.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Aww bloody Lance Armstrong
That really was a fantastic episode. I still get weepy..
I recorded those ones on my VCR but alas they are long gone
The screen shot of Fran and Macgrady xoxox
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:05 am

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:Aww bloody Lance Armstrong
That really was a fantastic episode. I still get weepy..
I recorded those ones on my VCR but alas they are long gone
The screen shot of Fran and Macgrady xoxox

Yeah. I remember seeing that episode being shown everyday all week long on PBS. I was having major anxiety at the time and was watching that episode. It was a really rough time for me.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:14 am

Oh yeah, this too was the credits of Bleach at the time of the Great McGrady. This song mixed with The Great MacGrady is sooooo tearjerking! *cries*

The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:24 am

Bleach is STILL going though
one of those never ending like Naruto cartoons
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:45 am

The anime ended in March 2012 in Japan while the English dub ended in November 2014. I cried because I have watched Bleach since I was in middle school and I am 21 now.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:47 am

WOAH it finally ended, I had no idea.....
I knew Inyuasha ended a few years back.
They do need to end Pokemon though and Naruto, oh that show how it grates me
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:56 am

The manga of Bleach is still going in Japan. Here's a really good music video Bleach. I remember both of these episodes and the song like it was yesterday

Incubus is actually really fitting for Bleach.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:24 am

Whoops i posted something in the wrong thread lol im confused, very tired
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content