Arthur's Snow Biz: Something Bothers Me

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Arthur's Snow Biz: Something Bothers Me

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:40 pm

I can't remember if I brought this up over at ECC, but I figure I'd bring it up here in our continued efforts to continually increase the number of posts around here! drunken

So, anyway, as much as I like and enjoy this episode, there's one little thing about it that I find just a little bothersome: when Arthur and Buster initial join forces at that lady's house, it seems to me that the lady clearly considerate towards Buster, but pretty much brushes Arthur off. To wit: one of the things Arthur complained about was Buster took, "A huge cocoa break," to which Buster dismisses as, "Customer relations," but honestly, look! She offers Buster a cup of hot cocoa, and chews the fat with him, but she doesn't extend the same kind of consideration to Arthur as he works at scraping ice off her car's windshield... she doesn't even call over to him or ask if he'd like to take a break and have a cup of cocoa, and all Arthur can do is just look at them as they share a chuckle on the front porch.

That, to me, is the worst of it, but there's also other little bits as well. When they're finished, she makes it a point to mention how much she appreciated having sand sprinkled on the steps... which Buster did. Also, notice when she pays them, she hands all the money to Buster. That, I'm sure, can be chalked up to her assuming they would split their profits anyway (but if she had that foresight, seems like she would give them an even amount of money, so they wouldn't have to break change).

Still, it seems clear to me that this lady showed favoritism toward Buster... guess because they're both bunnehs... hey, maybe that makes her a speciesist!

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Arthur's Snow Biz: Something Bothers Me

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:50 pm

I actually just re-watched this one a few days ago.  Very solid episode, but Buster did seem to overshadow Arthur in the snow-shoveling business...at least, until Muffy came along and plowed them both to the side.  

I guess it really goes to show how important the networking aspect of a startup business is.  One can have a great, charismatic personality but do little work, and bring in a lot more business than the hard worker who keeps his or her nose to the grindstone and gets things done.  Many small businesses function well when both those types of people can work together harmoniously and respect each other's contributions to the operation.  Without the networker, the workhorse has nothing to work on.  Without the workhorse, the networker will lose all of those new customers they brought in because little would get done.  

Buster was just so good at winning people over, he even managed to steal Arthur's own grandmother out from under him. albino
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:31 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:
Buster was just so good at winning people over, he even managed to steal Arthur's own grandmother out from under him. albino
I know, that was sad... not boo-hoo sad, but like, aw gee sad.

ARTHUR: But I'm your grandson! You have to give me the job!
THORA: Sorry, but I already promised Buster; besides, he only charges a dollar.
ARTHUR: Then... I'll do it for free! (Starts shoveling)
THORA: But, dear! You'll never make any money that way!

I will admit, Arthur did make a pretty smooth move when he started to prosolate his business:

BUSTER: Getting your little sister to get you work? No fair! Who's gonna say no to a four-year-old girl?!
ARTHUR: (Smug) No one!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Another interesting real-life parallel was Muffy plowing through at the end, conclusively burying their hopes for a bright and profitable future.  Likewise, leave it up to corporate giants who have vastly greater resources at their disposal to extinguish countless startup efforts.  I suppose if they really wanted to keep at it, they'd have to do just about the only thing small businesses can to survive in that situation, and offer a more unique service.  Add something in that Muffy, for all of her privilege, can't.  

Maybe throw in a complementary joke or two along with each shoveling contract, or better yet, a free box of Buster's Clusters!
A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top