George and His Dyslexia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

George and His Dyslexia

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:20 pm

I think this is an interesting subject, if only because dyslexia in and of itself is actually something of a controversy.

As it currently stands, dyslexia is identified as a disability (specifically, a learning disability) as per the Special Education Law, but many people (particular certain school officials and others) dispute that fact, and insist the it's not a disability. Interestingly enough, it's because of those nay-sayers that that we have such a law, because in olden times, it was much harder for kids with dyslexia or other learning disabilities to receive the help they needed to further their education, mainly because educators knew so little about it and what to do for kids diagnosed with it.

In George's case, it was the subject of a Very Special Episode, that we could see that reading, writing, and other similar tasks weren't exactly easy for him, but it seems like ever since that particular episode, his skills at reading and writing seem to kind of vary, depending on whatever situation he's used in. In fact, off the top of my head, the only time I can remember his dyslexia being mentioned or referenced was in "The Last Tough Customer," where Molly picks on him for not being able to read.

With that said, it's been a long time since I saw said episode where we learn George has dyslexia, so I don't remember if he receives any kind of special assistance or tutoring or such, but I do believe such is possibly, similar to speech therapy. George seems to do well otherwise in Ratburn's class.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: George and His Dyslexia

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:22 am

When I think of dyslexia I always remember the 1985 movie "Summer School" where the one girl had dyslexia and didn't want the teacher to know, so one of the other classmates got one of her papers and showed to it to the teacher, and another teacher told him. "You better go get her so help."
Buster & Molly Lover
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Gerbil on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:38 pm

I think that was the only time anyone ever really talked about his problem. Must not be that big a deal for him these days.
Joe Gerbil
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:08 pm

I wonder if perhaps that has something to do with dyslexia being classified as a disability... I don't know if it's something you can overcome or not, unlike our other disabled friends who are blind, wheelchair-bound, and austitic. I mean, again, when I was in kindergarten, I had to take speech therapy for an impediment I had, but when I had my tonsils removed, the doctors also found hardened (that's right, hardened) wax build-up in my ears that they removed, and as it turned out, that's the reason I had a speech impediment: the wax build-up distorted my hearing, and I was saying words the way I heard them. Needless to say, I overcomed that problem, but my parents had to literally fight to get my pulled from speech therapy, because they refused to let me go. I don't know if dyslexia is something that with a little effort from special tutors and mentors and such can be overcomed or not.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:55 pm

I'm not sure on that one.  I know a few people who are quite successful in challenging professions, despite being dyslexic.  Of course, I have no idea whether or not their conditions lessened over time with work and practice, or if it's just not something that's all that detrimental in their fields.  One guy's a detective, and another is a mid-level executive.  I could see dyslexia being problematic in math-based professions or other jobs based involving very fine printed details, but otherwise, I think George has it a lot better off than most of the other disabled characters.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:45 am

Yes, he isnt really disabled as such...
He just has issues reading properly and I imagine with writing.
Yet he is able to study history..? when he was on radio in that Fifteen minutes episode and using wally to talk about who was king during the French revolution so he must have some aide/assistance
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.fan fiction/jcrose

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:05 am

It was also mentioned in "Do you Speak George." Because of his dyslexia he could not understand the pig-Latin type languages. OR should I say...
It-yay as-way also-yay entioned-may in-yay "O-day ou-yay Eak-spay Eorge-gay." Ecause-bay of-yay is-hay yslexia-day e-hay ould-cay ot-nay understand-yay e-thay ig-pay Atin-lay ype-tay anguages-lay.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:45 pm

LOL
I remember speaking pig latin as a kid Very Happy it was fun. There weren't many kids with dyslexia in elementary school that we knew of. If there were, the school was very kind. There was little to no bullying at that particular place because the Principal was strict.
Haney is useless, really. He never addresses school yard bullying.....
Does he?
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:05 pm

In "The Law of the Jungle Gym" he tried to address it. He seems more focused on academics and projects than paying attention to recess. No wonder so many bullies have transferred from Mighty Mountain to Lakewood.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:39 am

Well in that case id rather be at Mighty mountain lol
Not so much lunch/recess time means less bullying usually.
Id have rather focused on studying and working in class than all that sport shit lolz
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:28 pm

MatthewHecht wrote:In "The Law of the Jungle Gym" he tried to address it.  He seems more focused on academics and projects than paying attention to recess.  No wonder so many bullies have transferred from Mighty Mountain to Lakewood.

Those bullies must have issues
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Due to "Arthur Afflictions" (I think snowth People coined it) I am sure they will soon.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 pm

good. I hop they do bring up the issue
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:33 pm

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:Yes, he isnt really disabled as such...
That's why the subject of dyslexia is so controversial, because there are those who argue that it is and should be classified as a legitimate disability - more specifically, a learning disability.

MatthewHecht wrote:Due to "Arthur Afflictions" (I think snowth People coined it) I am sure they will soon.  
Actually, I didn't, another friend of mine thought of it - he tends to be very critical and analytical about the show and has been among those who have seen the pattern of so many characters are either given afflictions they've never had before (Buster's asthma, Binky's peanut allergy, Brain's emotional problems, et al) or are introduced for the sake of discussion their affliction (Marina's blindness, Carl's Asperger's, Lydia being wheelchair-bound, et al) and the fact that it happens so frequently to the point we have what we call "Disease of the Week" episodes and ARTHUR is so infamous for it, he proposed the term "Arthur Affliction."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 pm

What about Mental Health awareness week?
its a thing we have every year. Along with blind awareness, hearing and for some reason smoke free month is counted in. Its a good cause
They could always address the issue of smoking, say a parent or something? in the show
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:28 am

The problem with that is there's supposedely an FCC regulation in the U.S. (though honestly, the FCC doesn't even do it's job - I know, I contacted them last year) that says you're not allowed to show people smoking on TV anymore, let alone a children's series. Hell, if a character smokes in a movie, that alone will earn you a PG rating. Seriously. The U.S. is getting very strict about trying to get people to quit smoking - we have a lot of graphic PSAs in our commercial breaks from people who used to smoke talking about how smoking ruined their lives, such as a double-amputee who has to wear prosthetic legs, a man who wears partials because he lost his teeth to a gum disease, a few people who have speech valves with huge holes in their necks, a woman who went blind and has shots injected directly into her eyeballs, all of which was brought on by their years of smoking.

But really, other than that, all we have up here is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and it's practically every other month anymore.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Oh wow I did not know that.
Remember the chipmunks round the world? The evil :"Eastern Europeans" Claudia and Klaus smoked all the time, mind you it was the late eighties.
In sleeping beauty the two kings got drunk lol. Again an age old film, beauty and the beast had Gaston and his cronies drinking beer by the jug load.

I guess times have changed.
So they would allow mental illness perhaps?
So theres no mental health or other health awareness weeks or months in the states?
we have suicide awareness since NZ has the highest suicide rate in the western world
Canna figgit honestly, it makes no sense No No No
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:10 pm

Yes, THE CHIPMUNK ADVENTURE has garnered a lot of controversy with modern audiences, not just for Klaus and Claudia smoking, but also the Chipettes in their harem outfits, singing a song called "Getting Lucky" (apparently a euphemism for sex) to a bunch of snakes that go rigid for them, lol.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Oh yeah the Snakes and their "Harem" outfits. The guy who wanted to make Britney one of his wives. To me that was not sexual at all but I guess some people took it that way?
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:32 pm

Tom and Jerry has also gained plenty of controversy for occasionally making the characters smoke. The full list would be enormous.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:54 pm

True.
I know some people found the scene in Hey Arnold where Helga got punched by one of the supposed fifth graders on her eye, but he was older than that. Still it was an older male punching a young girl in the face, so yeah there was a bit of controversy around that. Personally, I dont like it either.
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:58 am

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:LOL
I remember speaking pig latin as a kid Very Happy it was fun. There weren't many kids with dyslexia in elementary school that we knew of. If there were, the school was very kind. There was little to no bullying at that particular place because the Principal was strict.
Haney is useless, really. He never addresses school yard bullying.....
Does he?

Whenever I think of Pig Latin or someone speak it, I always think of The Three Stooges! What a Face
Buster & Molly Lover
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top