The Bunstravaganza Thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Bunstravaganza Thread

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Since bunnehs seem to be a popular animal around these parts, I thought I'd start up a thread to share some of my bunneh knowledge with you folkses on a weekly basis: maybe you'll learn a thing or two you didn't know before, maybe you'll even consider getting a bunneh for yourself (I once helped my best friend pick out a bunneh that she's had for about 3-4 years now - she even named after mine that died).

So strap on your bunneh earz, and fluff up yo cottonball tails, 'cause this thread's gonna be hoppin'!

Okay, here's this week's bit of trivia...

You ever notice how it seems like bunnehs just love carrots? Yeah, well, really, they don't. I'm sure there are some bunnehs out there who enjoy carrots now and then, but I've yet to have a bunneh who really loved carrots like bunnehs are thought to... in fact, I believe love for carrots is a generalization people picked up from Bugs Bunny, lol. Bunnehs, like people, have different tastes: I've had some bunnehs that loved fresh parsley, and I've had a bunneh who loved dandelion greens. But the one thing that bunnehs really love? Bananas. That's right, believe it or not, bunnehs love bananas! But, bunnehs have to maintain a healthy diet like people do, and since bananas are high in natural sugars, it's best to give a bunneh only one slice per day. A great treat to give bunnehs it dried banana chips; I used to give mine with her food everyday - she'd devour it first thing, lol.

Last edited by Snowth Poogle on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Bunstravaganza Thread

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:41 pm

Hippity-hop! Hippity-hop! Time for this week's bit of bunneh trivia!

Bunnehs are sensitive little critters, mainly because by nature, they're prey animals. Bunnehs need to feel well protected, and of course, very secure, and as such, you actually have to hold them a certain way. You can't hold them the way you would a puppy or a kitten, bunnehs need support when you hold them, which is why when holding a bunneh, you must always make sure you've got a firm and steady hand underneath their lil' bunrumps, like so:

See? That way, they won't feel like they will fall, or are in otherwise uncapable hands, and in turn, they won't be wiggling, or squirming, possibly injuring themselves. And, if they really feel safe and secure in your hands, they'll snuggle under your chin for some moar bunneh love!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:31 am

well i seen some yeserday when im out walk but they run away Crying or Very sad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:29 pm

This week's bit of bunneh trivia!

Bunnehs are very social animals, which is a good idea to get two bunnehs (preferably two that have been bonded together, as opposed to getting one bunneh, then getting another... I'll explain for another time), but if you only have one, it will need to be kept entertained and stimulated when you're not able to devote any playtime with it... so you know what you need? Bunneh toyz! There are certain kinds of toys that bunnehs love to play with . . . just like dogs like to play with fetchy balls, and cats love to play with yarn, bunnehs love to play with thing that they can pick up in their mouth and toss them around. The best kind of toys you can get for a bunneh are little jingle balls, those provide bunnehs with all kinds of amusement, to be able to toss little plastic balls, or other plastic toys, and create the sounds of jingling from the little jinglers banging around inside the toy.

Here's a really cute YouTube video of a little bunneh playing with such a toy:

Other kinds of toys that are great for bunnehs are things they can chew and nibble on: bunnehs are constantly nibblers, because unlike other creatures, bunnehs' teeth never stop growing, so providing them with things they can chew on keep their teeth trimmed down, so-to-speak, and keep their jaws healthy and strong. You can give them simple things like the cardboard tubes of a paper towel or toilet paper roll (not only can they nibble on them, but they can throw them around too), or you can get creative and give them little wicker toys to chew on and play with.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:30 pm

This just makes me want a bunneh more and more. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well it would go over with my two cats. I'd hate to come home from work one day and find teh bunneh savaged. Crying or Very sad But this is all great information to take in for anyone who might be considering adopting Buster or Maria, someday. Wink

It reminds me of an interesting (and adorable) instructive video I came across a while ago on how to properly pick up and hold a bunneh. Notice how it buries its face in her arm like a burrow...

A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:33 pm

You brought up a couple of interesting points Moms, which is why this week, I'm going to share two bits of bunneh trivia!
A Lotta Moms wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well it would go over with my two cats.  I'd hate to come home from work one day and find teh bunneh savaged. Crying or Very sad  
You would be correct, sir. While it is possible for bunnehs to coexist with other household pets like dogs and cats, it's not something to take for granted, and it's certainly something you need to keep an eye on. Dogs and cats are natural predators of bunnehs, so there is the very high risk of them attacking your bunnehs. Apparently when they were kids, my aunt lost her pet bunneh when my mom's dog ate it while they were gone one day. I've lost a couple of my bunnehs to a neighborhood dog as well: the dog killed one of them without doing much damage, but a month or two later, it ate the other one and left only her head and a couple of paws. Cats also like to eat bunnehs too. Just look at this cat staring at those baby bunnehs like he's scoping out an enticing buffet!

But again, it is possible for them to coexist peacefully. Just look at how this lop bunneh outwits this cat:

It reminds me of an interesting (and adorable) instructive video I came across a while ago on how to properly pick up and hold a bunneh.  Notice how it buries its face in her arm like a burrow...
Yes. Although domesticated bunnehs and wild bunnehs are not the same bunnehs, domesticated bunnehs still retain a lot of the same instincts that wild bunnehs have. Bunnehs are burrowing mammals, and as such, domestic bunnehs love to hide. In addition to the toys I mentioned in my previous post, it's also nice to give bunnehs something that they can hide in, depending on what size they are, such as large PVC pipes or empty round containers and such. I've had bunnehs before that I'd bring into the house and let them hop around, and one of them loved to hide behind the couch, while the other loved to hide between the wall and the fridge. Another bunneh I had loved to burrow into her blankets. At the same time, however, if you have bunnehs that you let out of the cage to play outside in a pin or something, you want to make sure the ground is covered, otherwise, they could very well dig under the pin and get loose.

See how these bunnehs can burrow in the snow?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:52 am

My condolences regarding your bunnehs who met such unfortunate ends at the paws of the neighborhood dog.  One of our family cats from my very early childhood was killed by the local shitmongrel.  It's always heartbreaking to lose a pet, but when it happens violently like that, it's all the more upsetting.  Crying or Very sad  Since one of my cats is basically large enough to qualify as a small dog and, despite being a big baby most of the time, is capable of doing serious damage (having done just that to me in the past), it gives me even more reason to pause.

But anyway, great wealth of bunneh lore.  Really liking the bunneh burrowing into the snow.  Speaking of cute bunneh videos...

A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:21 pm

I can actually tell you that that video actually isn't cute: that little baby bunny is terrified, that's why it's trying to escape. As for it's screaming, not only is it terrified, but it's also in pain. See how it's squirming? That guy's got like a death grip on it, the bunneh feels like he's being crushed, on top of already being terrified, that little baby bunneh could die from shock - their little tiny hearts can beat far too fast for them and could die from heart failure. Bunnehs are very timid little critters, which is why when you're initially establishing a bond/connection with a new pet bunneh, you have to be very careful with it - don't talk loud to it, don't hover over it, you can't play rough with it like you would a dog, you have to talk quietly to it, lower yourself to its level to make yourself seem not quite so big and scary, be gentle with it, and let it come to you.

But, getting back to the point, here's this week's bunneh trivia: bunnehs are usually quiet animals, but they're capable of producing sounds as well, they have a variety of different sounds that have different meanings.

Screaming: As mentioned above, usually a sign that they're either scared, in pain, or both.

Grunting/snorting/growling: Annoyance, they want to be left alone (sometimes accompanied by feet stomping).

Warbling: It sounds similar to a dog whimpering, and it's usually when a bunneh feels like it's not getting it's way such as being put back into its cage when it still wants to play, wanting a treat, not liking you touching its stuff if you're cleaning the cage, etc.

Clicking: This is kind of similar to when cats purr - if bunnehs start clicking their teeth, it's a sign of pleasure and that they be happy lil' bunrabs. Say you be lovin' on a bunneh, petting it, stroking it, gently tugging on its earz, if it's really enjoying it, it may start clicking its teeth if you stop when it doesn't want you to.

I can also tell you from experience, I've also known bunnehs to sneeze, and even burp.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:43 pm

For this week's bit of bunneh knowledge, I think I'd help familiarize you guys with some of the more popular and well-known breeds of bunnehs.

Yep, just like other pets, bunnehs come in different breeds, and it's to be expected that different breeds have different personalities and characteristics.

Now for starters, one of the smallest and most popular breeds is the Netherland Dwarf:

Netherland dwarves small size makes them perfect for single people and apartment dwellers - they usually only reach 2-3 pounds and can easily fit in one hand when full grown. They come in an endless variety of colors, patterns, fur length, and tend to have very active personalities, so make sure you can devote plenty of lovin' and playtime to 'em.

Another popular and dashing smaller breed is the Dutch:

Dutches are easily recognizable due to their unique coat design, with their white torsos, and darkened rumps and facial highlights that vary in color, such as black, gray (blue), brown (red), or tan (yellow). They're also popular for their typically calm, friendly, and docile nature, which makes them another ideal candidate for first-time bunneh owners.

Another popular small breed - and a long-haired breed - is the Jersey Wooly.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Jersey Woolies, but I know there are some aficianados of long-hair breeds, such as the Angoras:

And Lionheads:

Long hair breeds tend to be used as show rabbits.

Now for some popular medium breeds, bunnies that usually reach 4-5 pounds when full grown. Presenting, first and foremost, the very versatile Mini-Rex:

The soft and plush-like Mini-Rex is perhaps one of the most unique bunneh breeds there is, not only because they come in a countless variety of colors, designs, and markings, but like people, each Mini-Rex has its own unique personality, ranging from friendly, playful, energetic, aloof, standoffish, lazy. . . . you'll almost never get bored with these.

Another distinctive medium breed is the Himalayan:

With their long weenie-dog-like bodies and striking markings, the Himalayans also tend to be used as show bunnehs as well... unfortunately, because of their snow white pelts, they're also commonly used for making coats. Sad They're also one of history's oldest known breed of domesticated bunnehs.

Also among medium breeds are the numerous different lops, such as the French:

The Holland:

And the English:

Lop personalities tend to differ between the breeds; they're all known to be docile and friendly bunnehs - French lops are particularly friendly and social, while English lops can also be a tad lazy and laid back.

Then, there's a few of the larger breeds that can range anywhere from 9-12 pounds when full grown, and some of those more popular breeds are the Rex:

As you can imagine, the Rex is the larger relative of the Mini-Rex, and just like Mini-Rexes, Rexes have soft and plush-like fur that also come in an endless variety of colors, designs, and markings, such as this dashing Dalmatian Rex pictured above. Similarly, Rexes also have varying personalities, depending on the bunneh - they can range from social and playful to lazy and lethargic, but despite their size, they're also very gentle and come highly recommended.

Another popular large breed is the Californian:

Californians are often mistaken for Himalayans (and vice-versa) for their very similar markings, but the biggest differences in the breeds is while Himalayans are smaller and slender bunnehs, Californians are much larger and plumper bunnehs - they could easily fill your whole lap. These gentle giants are popular as pets, show bunnehs, and unfortunately bunneh eaters.

So those are just a few noteworthy breeds to familiarize yourself with. Basically, what breed you prefer boils down to a lot of factors: how much space you have to house your bunneh, how much space you have to let it run around and play, what you think you can handle in terms of size, weight, and care. Of course, again, every bunneh has a different personality, so it's nice to be sure that you and your bunneh can get along well together too.

Now, just for a little extra trivia, as I already mentioned, the Netherland Dwarf is pretty much the smallest breed of bunneh -- but, do you know what the largest breed is? That would be the Flemish Giant:

They can grow upwards of 20 or more pounds. Interestingly enough, this was the breed of bunnehs used on TELETUBBIES: because those rubber suits and all of the settings and props were large, they brought in Flemish Giants to help with scale without making everything else appear too large.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:58 pm

So much bunneh! Shocked
If I bunnydopt, it'll definitely be one of these monsters. It's probably the best insurance policy against jealous cats.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:21 pm

This week's bit o' bunneh knowledge: as much as bunnehs love bonding and phyiscal contact, there's actually two places where you should never, ever touch a bunneh, and that would be its tummy and under its chin. Those are the two most sensitive areas of bunneh anatomy, and their chins especially because they have something like scent glands in their chins - whenever you see a bunneh rubbing its chin on something, that's how they mark their territory - so to touch a bunneh under its chin or on its tummy is essentially like groping someone inappropriate. So don't do it, m'kay?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:57 am

want one those
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:18 pm

Kerry9Story wrote:want one those
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:19 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:

So much bunneh! Shocked  
If I bunnydopt, it'll definitely be one of these monsters.  It's probably the best insurance policy against jealous cats.

WTH? They're massive. Its the size of a freaking border collie????
I didn't know such large bunnehs existed!!!!!
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:40 am

You know who does luv bunnies...????

Elmyra Duff

possibly the most horrid child without knowing so on the planet.
She just wuvs animallllssss
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:08 am

Now, this is just silly.  At first, I didn't even realize the much bigger, much more frustrated bunneh on the bottom.  Now, I'm honestly not sure whether or not this picture is more cute in a cuddly sort of way, or more horrifying in a bunnehskin hat-wearing sort of way...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:43 am

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:You know who does luv bunnies...????

Elmyra Duff

possibly the most horrid child without knowing so on the planet.
She just wuvs animallllssss

I remember her! She was the complete absolute of Elmer Fudd! I also remember there being an episode where Babs was singing in front of class while Elmer was away and I remember him getting real mad!
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:38 am

A Lotta Moms wrote:

Now, this is just silly.  At first, I didn't even realize the much bigger, much more frustrated bunneh on the bottom.  Now, I'm honestly not sure whether or not this picture is more cute in a cuddly sort of way, or more horrifying in a bunnehskin hat-wearing sort of way...

Id go with the latter, the poor dark bunny Very Happy Very Happy see what I did there?
Buster has taken his place
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:40 am

Hahaha wow that dark bunny looks pissed!
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:48 am

I would too, his fat body is covering his right eye, poor dark bunny Sad
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:09 am

Dawww
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:22 am

poor dark wittle bunny
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:39 am

want one those
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:42 am

Theyre cute
they poo everywhere though...little turd nuggets...
lolz but they are adorable nibbling on their carrots and sleeping
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:33 am

Bunnehs r cuddlers, so dey be snugglin'!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top