Disease of the Week and other PSA Episodes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Disease of the Week and other PSA Episodes

Post by GhostOfLunchTomorrow on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:30 pm

These episodes seem to come up in almost every thread here. Razz What do you think about them? Do you think there are too many in the later seasons? Which ones do you think are the best/worst?

For me I don't mind them so much because there aren't quite enough for me to get upset over the number of them and also because I think they tend to be some of the better-written episodes. I especially like the ones where the goofy humor is still incorporated, like in "Buster's Breathless" or the ones focusing on Marina's blindness with the Harry Potter-parody often tying into things.
GhostOfLunchTomorrow
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile http://forevertrueblue.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Disease of the Week and other PSA Episodes

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm personally a little indifferent to them myself. I don't think about them too much - they serve a specific purpose that they are produced for - but at the same time, I can kind of understand why some people have become fed up with them: they've pretty much become a Once a Season thing (but then again, so have the celebrity guest spots), and it either befalls one of the already established characters to have a disease they've never had before (again, Binky's peanut allergy is a good example), or a random new character is brought it out of the blue with it. I know quite a few people are concerned that Maria's upcoming episode is going to be another Disease of the Week episode, but that remains to be seen.

But again, they serve a purpose, so I really have no real big issues with them... matter of fact, I'm almost certain I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd really like to see rosacea be used as a new Disease of the Week.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GhostOfLunchTomorrow on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:38 pm

They do seem to pop up once every season. I guess we can start calling them "Disease of the Season" episodes. Razz

I don't mind when a new character is introduced with it so long as they become a regular/semi-regular character so they feel at like at least a little less of a plot device.

I think a rosacea episode would be interesting as most kids seem to know about things like athsma, cancer, allergies, and blindness but not so much rosacea. Personally, I'd never even heard if it until high school (I think).
GhostOfLunchTomorrow
Shady Character
Shady Character

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:04 pm

And that too can be a problem as well as far as many people are concerned, mainly because this show already has so many already-established characters, that it's difficult to find ways of having any other new characters stand out, or are somehow unique compared to the rest of the cast.

But yeah, rosacea's something I've dealt with all my life, and will deal with for the rest of my life, so it would be interesting to see how they could work it into an episode, if they could.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GhostOfLunchTomorrow on Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Perosnally I think they've done a good job handling having a ton of characters (certainly better than the majority of shows I've seen with an ensemble cast) up until now. They rotate who gets the focus pretty well in my eyes.
GhostOfLunchTomorrow
Shady Character
Shady Character

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top