Proposed New Fandom Term: "Arthur Affliction"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should "Arthur Affliction" be a for-realsies fandom term?

75% 75% 
[ 6 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
25% 25% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 8

Proposed New Fandom Term: "Arthur Affliction"

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed May 06, 2015 1:08 pm

I was discussing this with a friend of mine who tends to be really critical, particularly with what's become of ARTHUR in recent years, and he's proposed a term that he feels should be particularly appropos for the fandom: "Arthur Affliction".

As if you couldn't guess, "Arthur Affliction" is pretty much the subject of those "Disease of the Week" episodes, where one of the already-existing major characters is suddenly afflicted with something they never had before (Brain's emotional issues, Binky's peanut allergies, etc.) or a new character is created entirely for the sake of discussing an affliction (the disabled characters). I'd even dare say "Arthur Affliction" should also be a trope, though TV Tropes no longer accepts "trope-namer" trope proposals anymore.

But, at any rate, what do you guys think?

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Proposed New Fandom Term: "Arthur Affliction"

Post by Nope on Fri May 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Seems suit to me - Arthur always dealt with kids who bore "issues" but in the early years it was generalized enough to avoid giving any kids particular labels. This started to break once Buster was given asthma in S4. I do miss the old days where "issues" were generic enough. It was easier for kids to relate to IMHO.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat May 23, 2015 4:33 am

Yes such as Georges Dyslexia and nose bleeds, Jenna's bed wetting and Mrs McGrady getting Cancer.
Also the issue of Divorce with Bitzi is relevant too
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sun May 31, 2015 10:59 am

okiedokie
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:30 am

I agree. It doesn't bother me as much as it does others, but I've noticed it has been happening a lot in the show. There are certain characters that I think we could do without in terms of being a figurehead for a certain disability (such as Carl...not too fond of that kid, myself, no offense).
Lydia is really the only disabled character I like on the show, in all honesty. I felt that her character was well executed and the disability itself wasn't focused on as much as in some episodes.
I'm sometimes okay with how the show has given pre-existing characters disabilities (like Buster with his asthma). I mean, most fans forget he even has it. Really, that's how disabilities should be portrayed, as not a big deal. Arthur seems to be doing just the opposite...giving disabled characters entire episodes.
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:36 am

I think giving old characters diseases works as long as they fit the already established personalities. It actually has a good chance of working because most characters are based off real people. Many of the people writers felt would be interesting had something, and the character matches the disease.
Creating new characters for mental diseases is awful, as it implies everyone with it is like the Arthur character.
If they want to do more mental ones (like Asperger's) I think they should introduce a character and then wait to say they have the disease. It would also help if they introduced two characters with it to show that every case of a mental disease/difference is far from the same.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Yeah i doubt they will magically give A diagnoses to one of the main characters
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org