Episode Directors, Writers, And Producers.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Episode Directors, Writers, And Producers.

Post by Nope on Thu May 07, 2015 2:21 am

see this is why you go outside ok

Last edited by Nope on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode Directors, Writers, And Producers.

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu May 07, 2015 11:35 am

The three writers that come to my mind the most whenever I think about the show are Joe Fallon, Peter K. Hirsch, and yes Dietrich Smith.

Crazy Joe was undoubtedly the voice of the show, not only did he adapt many of the earlier episodes from the original books in a way that captured and retold the story, but expanded on them a little as well, and he really seemed to have the characters and their personalities down pat. It's a shame that he ended up leaving over creative differences with Marc Brown, because honestly, when we lost Crazy Joe, the show hasn't ever quite been the same again.

Then we have Peter K. Hirsch, and in terms of writing, he seems to have carried the torch from Crazy Joe's departure to now, and seems to be the only other writer whose style, stories, and characterizations seem to be consistent enough from the earlier seasons and episodes when Crazy Joe was the creative maestro.

Dietrich Smith, yes, I know a lot of people say his stories are weak and that he botches certain characterizations and such, but I find there are a number of his episodes that I really enjoy and stick out among the series, which is why he's usually one of the three writers that come to mind often when I think about the series.

In terms of more recent writers, Cusi Cram and Matt Hoverman have written some really good episodes.

Having Ken Scarborough back again, his recent episodes certainly capture the spirit and the essence of the older Crazy Joe days . . . but since Season 18 has been mostly a dud so far, even his newer episodes like "Surprise!" and "The Substitute Arthur" have ended on flat notes.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 pm

Ken Scarborough is the head writer for Martha Speaks, and he is great there.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:24 am

I will never forgive Joe for his anti francine DRAW episode plus "Arthur the loser" among other anti francine episodes....
Kathy wough, now I do like her Very Happy Very Happy She showed Francines nicer side in DWs bad mood...
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:31 am

^him thes days prolly
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:34 am

Thats his life now.
Drunk calls to burger king, talking about  "Arthur and Francine bein evil" "I wrote shit episodes" blahhhhhh
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:05 pm

I never viewed "Draw!" as Anti-Francine. It shows the group making the comics and Francine as being in the wrong, and it seems to be saying two wrongs do not make a right. The main reason it is my second favorite episode is that the viewer is not supposed to take a side.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:15 pm

Uh Francine made a tiny little bit of fun at Fern, Fern gets her revenge by turning the ENTIRE class against her so no one speaks to her, makes satirical comics about her and generally leave her in tears. Getting the whole class to laugh and mock you?
Its much worse than one little joke.
Fern should have taken it up with Francine, not get back at her as cruel revenge, then again she has been known to draw satirical things before...and joke around with people
her and binkys joke for example? Shes a cruel mistress that one
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:08 pm

Here's the thing though: this was back during an era of the show where Francine had a bully streak in her. It wasn't just Fern, and it wasn't just that episode - she was the first to bully Arthur when he started wearing glasses, she was the first to make fun of him for not having lost a baby tooth, she was known for having a notorious temper that even became the subject of a bet with Muffy that she couldn't go a week without being nice to people, and she even openly boasted once, "I'm kind of a rude person." Like Matthew said, the episode isn't really so much about being anti-Francine as it was putting her in her place and giving her a taste of her own medicine and how it feels to be bullied and made fun of. True, Fern went about it in a cruel and passive aggressive way that got carried away, but again, it was to open Francine's eyes and show her the errors of her own ways as well.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:23 pm

Yes I guess you are right. Francine was a horrible bully in the first season, again why her? It aggravated me how they used HER to be the antagonist, bullying Arthur and her other friends.
Muffy however is not so perfect, she did copy Francines test in "The true Francine" and in "love letters to muffy" or whatever its called I remember Francine and Brain took revenge on her for her nasty behavior and underhanded tactics in an attempt to win class president, however that was Season one aswellif I recall??? my memory is so vague, but yes i do remember "meek for a week" Not that Muffy was so nice either. I guess the writers did not want the Monkeys to be very nice? I do not know why....
Mind you nor was Molly?
My favorites are always portrayed so horribly Sad :(They get nicer though!!

Fern DOES have an evil streak but I DO and wow I am writing this lol, she did not think Francine had any feelings whatsoever since she did not seem to show any remorse for her actions or her behavior like in Francine frensky superstar. She DID take advantage of Muffys one off kind streak in letting her have a nice part in a  play where she does not get hit in the face (how she did not cry in second grade by getting hit in the face i will never know?) and then telling Muffy she dresses with no lights on. It was nasty.
I do not understand the writers desire to make Francine such a bitch. Later on however, her nicer side is shown and her remorseful behavior...
We all know Sue Ellen fans HATE "So funny I forgot to laugh" because Sue ellen was bullied by her "boyfriend" and you know they end up together right? its fanfiction law
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:46 am

^him irl still
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:47 am

Yup, still making prank calls
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:36 am

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:Yes I guess you are right. Francine was a horrible bully in the first season, again why her? It aggravated me how they used HER to be the antagonist, bullying Arthur and her other friends.
Muffy however is not so perfect, she did copy Francines test in "The true Francine" and in "love letters to muffy" or whatever its called I remember Francine and Brain took revenge on her for her nasty behavior and underhanded tactics in an attempt to win class president, however that was Season one aswellif I recall??? my memory is so vague, but yes i do remember "meek for a week" Not that Muffy was so nice either. I guess the writers did not want the Monkeys to be very nice? I do not know why....
Mind you nor was Molly?
My favorites are always portrayed so horribly Sad :(They get nicer though!!

Fern DOES have an evil streak but I DO and wow I am writing this lol, she did not think Francine had any feelings whatsoever since she did not seem to show any remorse for her actions or her behavior like in Francine frensky superstar. She DID take advantage of Muffys one off kind streak in letting her have a nice part in a  play where she does not get hit in the face (how she did not cry in second grade by getting hit in the face i will never know?) and then telling Muffy she dresses with no lights on. It was nasty.
I do not understand the writers desire to make Francine such a bitch. Later on however, her nicer side is shown and her remorseful behavior...
We all know Sue Ellen fans HATE "So funny I forgot to laugh" because Sue ellen was bullied by her "boyfriend" and you know they end up together right? its fanfiction law
I think they used Francine because she teases Arthur a lot in the books (just to Arthur). I think that was one of her defining character traits, but then the writers realized it would be better if they mixed up who did the teasing. Thus Francine got some very good character development. "Love Notes for Muffy" actually seems to me to show Francine's new nicer side. Brain was the leader in getting revenge, while Francine would try to talk him out of it until she overheard Muffy insulting her. Francine then joined in, but her role was to be the one with the conscience. I think Francine has had the best character development on the show.
Most of us non Sue Ellen fans also hat "So Funny I forgot to Laugh." I think it is easily in my bottom five episodes.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Yes she has developed and as you say, was better in Season two.
Muffy has a habit of taking credit for others work, when she copied Francines test and the cookies her friends made. She is the kind of character who always relaizes she needs her friends and cares what people think I figure?
I guess the books do portray francine as the teaser but then the cartoon caried on where the books left off.
The teasing and hinted look aheads tend to show Francine and Arthur together in sort of an unlikely way as though you would least expect it, but thats life for you and often in love too. If they did not get together, i still see Francine, Arthur and Buster remaining friends and possibly Muffy? she might hang around...
The others would most likely go their separate ways.
I guess Arthur making fun of sue ellens hat was OOC for him, he would not do that. Binky would however I think there is a little crush between those two, i shop bink-ellen though because binky seemed awfully upset over Sue ellen being picked on, plus the fight episode, i dunno....i just always saw something there?
However as far as bullying goes, wouldn't the tough customers or muffy be more likely to prey on sue ellens ugly hat? I mean Muffy would not call it Tres chic, it was ugly as hell.
This poses a questoin: Why would a vegan, not just a vegetarian but a Vegan, wear a hat made from animal skin?
Also, Sue ellen is good in the way she is able to laugh along at herself and this is why i think Francine sided with her because alot of the characters felt Arthur took it too far and sue ellen put up with alot. LOL Fern would write a comic about Arthur most likely and have the class make fun of him in some sort of outfit.....
Any other character would not take as kindly to it as Soozie.
Molly would make sure he entered a "World of pain" rightly so too.
lol imagine them trying to make fun of molly....ouch!!!
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:35 pm

I would not be surprised if they picked the roles for "So Funny I Forgot to Laugh" out of a hat.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:37 pm

It would seem so..
DW making fun of Sue ellens hat, now that is possible!!!!
DW making fun of anyone wearing anything is plausible
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:38 pm

whoops double post

Last edited by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:40 pm

I think that would be an improvement. Since they are targeting verbal bullying, why not make a four year old do it, and show it can start at any age.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:13 pm

Kerry9Story wrote:
^him irl still
Reason #546 why he's our favorite scriptwriter ever.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:53 pm

After seeing "Little Miss Meanie" today, I've come to the conclusion that Matt Hoverman is perhaps one of the better newer writers the show has: for the past couple of seasons, not only has he done a decent job at really capturing the characterizations of our favorite Elwood City gang, but he's also expanded on them in interesting ways that have brought depth to them. "Little Miss Meanie," "Brain's Biggest Blunder," "Molina's Muligan," and "The Tardy Tumbler" are all really good episodes. "Opposites Distract" is a good one too, despite completely exaggerating Arthur and Buster's contrasting lifestyles for the sake of storytelling and referencing THE ODD COUPLE (that and it cotained a great nod to "Poor Muffy"); "The Case of the Girl with the Long Face" was a decent episode, I just still feel like the ending was a cop-out with the revelation that Fern was "sad for no reason."

Cusi Cram was another pretty good writer during the post-Fallon and pre-9 Story era of the show. "Don't Ask Muffy" really had the Muffler down-pat in terms of wanting to be a successful talk show host like Hoprah Linseed, but lacked listening skills and a desire to actually help people, but this was also the first time we started to see Molly in a different light as well, as someone who actually does give out helpful advice to others, despite the rough-n-tough exterior she projects. "Desperately Seeking Stanley" is a touching episode about Arthur's sentimentality for Stanley (whom I still remember being named Artie at one point). "The Blackout" was a decent followup to "The Blizzard," and even contained a number of nods and references to the latter, and "No Acting Please" was a good Fern episode, and also had a great appearance by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who went too soon (and I didn't know he was also a theater director prior to seeing this episode).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:48 pm

I really like most of the Cusi Cram written episodes except "The Blackout." I thought it was just a poor version of "The Blizzard," which I think is a top 5 episode in the show's history.
I think Hoverman is a mixed bag. I really liked "Case of the Girl with the Long Face" and Little Miss Meanie and Tardy Tumblr were very good. The problem is I think his other episodes were very bad, but almost al o season 16 and the first 2/3rds of season 17 were like that. I think the real increase in the writing quality is from Ken Scarborough's return and Peter Hirschwriting good episodes again.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:08 pm

I'm happy that Ken Scarborough has returned, and while his episodes certainly have a feeling of the classic old school days of the show, I think his new episodes overall have kind of fallen flat.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:42 pm

I think we rarely mention him due to his hard to spell name
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Well considering I spell it all the time, minus the extra 'O,' it's not too difficult. Razz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top