A Little Bit of Arthur History

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Little Bit of Arthur History

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri May 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Ever notice there's people on YouTube who are actually afficianados for PBS funding credits? Well, here are the funding credits for the first eight seasons of Arthur, before Chuck E. Cheese's took over with their dominance:

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Little Bit of Arthur History

Post by Nope on Sat May 09, 2015 1:49 am

I remember Libby's Juicy Juice. For a while they ran special drink boxes with the Arthur gang printed on them. They're own by Nestle now who hasn't carried on the Arthurian tradition.

Juice still tastes good and makes for one hell of a laxative. drunken

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat May 09, 2015 11:35 am

I didn't know it made for a good laxative, wish I'd known that when I had a bad case of constipation four years ago. Razz

But yeah, I still drink the stuff too, mainly because, as I've explained many times before, being carbonation intolerant, just about all I drink is milk and juice, lol. Despite different ownership, yeah, the stuff still tastes the same after all the years - which is more than I can say about Snapple deciding to change their ingredients years ago, thus ruining Apple Snapple (aka my number one vice) for me. I mean really, where Kel loved orange soda, Radar loved grape nehi, and Bert loved figgy fiz, Apple Snapple was my drink of choice: tasted just like biting into an apple without biting into an apple . . . then when they started using different ingredients it tasted like Jolly Rancher, that horrible hard candy at the doctor's office with the real fake fruit flavor. Ick.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat May 09, 2015 6:42 pm

Public broadcasting is aware of the fandom:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125456925

Personally I didn't like these when I was 4 and 5. Made me stop watching PBS after a while. They were a distraction to the actual content. I remember the fundings more than the actual shows. The CPB circle is ugly but it got ugliler before that

The National Science Foundation was an eyesore aswell.

The government sure has ugly logos!

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat May 09, 2015 6:54 pm

And oh, don't forget the VERY FIRST FUNDINGS...........with D.W. reading the fundings! This has been around since the Monday morning "Arthur's Eyes" first aired

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sat May 09, 2015 9:34 pm

This was from my local PBS station (WVIZ in Cleveland), when Arthur and Magic School Bus would air back to back (my two favorite shows even way back then!) and Geauga Lake/Turtle Beach was Arthur's local sponsor...

I remember seeing Arthur/PBS promo stuff around Geauga Lake for a couple years from '96 to '99. Kid's meals would come with crayons and coloring placemats with Arthur and other PBS characters, drawing games, etc. They stopped doing that when the park got bought out by Six Flags, and sponsorship from them dried up.

It would have been cool if Geauga Lake became sort of an Arthur theme park, or at least had a section of it devoted to Arthur-themed stuff. Similar to Cedar Point having a Peanuts/Snoopy area. On the other hand I think it would have clashed with Marc Brown's anti-merchandise sentiment.

(Obligatory off-topic: I miss Geauga Lake. Even if it was smaller, the place seemed a lot more classier than Cedar Point and a bit less ride-oriented. Turtle Beach still lives on as Wildwater Kingdom, but I'm not too big on water parks.)
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Thu May 14, 2015 6:48 am

I loved the old CPB circle. It looks so much more retro than the cube that replaced it. The NSF spinner is also pretty nifty. I think they still use that one.

A bit off the line but fairly relevant as it's PBS again.
My old PBS used to use a custom Emergency Alert System test card - it basically looked like the window sill from the old Mr. Rogers set but recolored into his wretched green/black/brown colored mess. This was accompanied by white Arial text bearing the legion "This is a test of the Emergency Alert System". The announcer was creepy and the buzzer tones were worse. They cranked 'em up really loud for no particular reason. It was literal terror waiting between programs only to see that thing pop up. I found a website where they listed schedules ahead of time which helped to ease the horror once they did test. They changed it by 2007 into a far less nightmare-inducing screen - I had a photo of the old screen somewhere but it's lost in the archives of time. If it still exists, the world will be a worse place. What a Face

Ironically when a real emergency happened, they just used a scrolling green or red bar or the cable's System would take over. We'll never enjoy Armageddon with that wretched puke screen.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Mon May 18, 2015 4:59 am

Binky's Barnes wrote:I loved the old CPB circle. It looks so much more retro than the cube that replaced it. The NSF spinner is also pretty nifty. I think they still use that one.

A bit off the line but fairly relevant as it's PBS again.
My old PBS used to use a custom Emergency Alert System test card - it basically looked like the window sill from the old Mr. Rogers set but recolored into his wretched green/black/brown colored mess. This was accompanied by white Arial text bearing the legion "This is a test of the Emergency Alert System". The announcer was creepy and the buzzer tones were worse. They cranked 'em up really loud for no particular reason. It was literal terror waiting between programs only to see that thing pop up. I found a website where they listed schedules ahead of time which helped to ease the horror once they did test. They changed it by 2007 into a far less nightmare-inducing screen - I had a photo of the old screen somewhere but it's lost in the archives of time. If it still exists, the world will be a worse place.  What a Face

Ironically when a real emergency happened, they just used a scrolling green or red bar or the cable's System would take over. We'll never enjoy Armageddon with that wretched puke screen.

In 2007-2008, there was also an ominous TV logo on one of my local PBS stations before Arthur came on. It was like the PS3 Startup screen with a purplish background. But the music and sounds started with a dramatic dun followed by ominous wind blowing and echoing. It was very inappropriate to show before a children's show like Arthur. I was in Middle School at the time and it spooked me pretty good! Imagine a little kid seeing the logo! Shocked
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top