(One Of) The Strangest PBS Sponsors Ever

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(One Of) The Strangest PBS Sponsors Ever

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat May 30, 2015 8:27 pm

Allthough my Michigan dairy board sponsored a local cooking show on my PBS station, I thought it would never go beyond that far............

Knowing the history of this campaign thanks to Jeff Manning and Jeff Goodby, I never seen an unusual 90s sight while looking for every commercial for this campaign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkyzC5EXrko

Yup, it's real.

The real "Got Milk" people is the California Milk Processor Board, not the American Dairy Assocation/America's Dairy Farmers. CMPB owned the registered trademark, and they are the creators of that campaign. Make a "Got Milk" takeoff that is offensive to the industry and they WILL sue, as proven by PETA.

The reason the American Dairy Association got their hands is because they LICENSED it along with other boards from C.M.P.B., officially beginning when the campaign was 1 1/2 years old.

According to "Got Milk?:the book", the campaign's heyday avoided cows as part of their television campaign.

To go back on topic the dairy industry, let alone a licesned campaign is unusual to sponsor a PBS show. Though the top prize for most unusual sponsor goes to R.J. Renyolds (a tobacco company) doing Reading Rainbow in the mid-80's. PBS yanked it and is pretty hard to find on youtube.

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (One Of) The Strangest PBS Sponsors Ever

Post by Nope on Sat May 30, 2015 10:20 pm

I remember the old "Got Milk?" campaign. Haven't seen their adverts since the early 00's.
They never meant much to me as I cannot handle heavier dairy products. What a Face
PBS always had some of the bigger franchises backing them - Chuck E. Cheese's has been a long time supporter of some programming. I always recoil in horror when that ruddy Ratburn ripoff pops up on the screen.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top