TV Tropes is No Fun Anymore

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TV Tropes is No Fun Anymore

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:02 pm

Honestly, this site has really gone to hell in a nutshell anymore.

I just got suspended from the site (for a second time), but I'm blaming them for being so gosh-darn inconsistent with their stuffy rules and regulations that it's gotten to a point that it's almost impossible not to do anything without pissing them off. Seriously, I got a PM from one of the mods who basically said, "Yeah, we like your contributions to the site and all, you just don't do it right, so you're suspended."

It's like they go all Nazi on certain rules for a while, then go all Nazi on others, and mix up their rules too (I get they don't want first person referals on work pages, but since when were you not allowed to say "I" or "This Troper" on subjective pages like Headscratchers, YMMV, and such?).

I mean TV Tropes used to be such a fun site, but they're just so "rulesy" anymore, that the site in general has become something of a buzzkill.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TV Tropes is No Fun Anymore

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:34 pm

I don't understand why you keep getting banned just for formatting things differently. And yet they don't ban people who are genuinely breaking the rules?
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:31 pm

This is the first they've had that issue with me at TV Trope; the previous time I was suspended was because they took issue with a new trope I was proposing, which would have been a sister index to Switch To Color (which I recently laucnhed), this one would have been an index of shows that switched from 4:3 to 16:9 during their original runs, but they felt it was too complainy (which they've gotten really strict about lately to the point you can't even complain about anything on the forums). That suspension I eventually got straightened out, but again, this time I feel they're the ones who are being so inconsistent with their rules that it's like no matter what you do, they're going to find fault with you.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:04 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:This is the first they've had that issue with me at TV Trope; the previous time I was suspended was because they took issue with a new trope I was proposing, which would have been a sister index to Switch To Color (which I recently laucnhed), this one would have been an index of shows that switched from 4:3 to 16:9 during their original runs, but they felt it was too complainy (which they've gotten really strict about lately to the point you can't even complain about anything on the forums). That suspension I eventually got straightened out, but again, this time I feel they're the ones who are being so inconsistent with their rules that it's like no matter what you do, they're going to find fault with you.

Those admins sound like they want something to complain about because they are bored. They should do something else with their time.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Some admins actually purposely look for people just to ban. Its happened on forums in the past. Private messaging and nit picking at people they generally do not consider "right for the forum" "site"
Yeah way to go helping people fit in S^&T heads.
I am unfamiliar with TV Tropes but I have had a similar experience on a Yugioh site. They flew off the handle at me for creating a thread and I accidentally posted it in the wrong section. They almost banned me. I apologized. They moved it and said "If you do that again you will be banned, its not tolerated here"
uh okay but making fun and calling other members n00bs and dickheads so everyone can see is A-Okay?
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.fan fiction/jcrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:18 pm

ArthurXfrancinexpurple wrote:Some admins actually purposely look for people just to  ban. Its happened on forums in the past. Private messaging and nit picking at people they generally do not consider "right for the forum" "site"
Yeah way to go helping people fit in S^&T heads.
I am unfamiliar with TV Tropes but I have had a similar experience on a Yugioh site. They flew off the handle at me for creating a thread and I accidentally posted it in the wrong section. They almost banned me. I apologized. They moved it and said "If you do that again you will be banned, its not tolerated here"
uh okay but making fun and calling other members n00bs and dickheads so everyone can see is A-Okay?

Admins can abuse their powers.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:14 pm

I've had that problem at a forum as well, almost ten years ago in fact.

To sum up the story without naming names, or refering to which specific fandom it was, imagine this scenario: let's say that instead of being popular as she is, that Marina was instead a Scrappy that everybody in the fandom hated. That's pretty much what had me marked at this forum: I was a fan of the Scrappy that everybody else hated, that was the main reason they had it in for me. There were other personal reasons as well (Christianity for one), but that was the biggy.

Now, a few jerkasses took it upon themselves to cyber-bully me any chance they got . . . the admins did ban them, at first, but after sometime passed, those same guys actually came back, and when they did, the admins welcomed them with open arms. The cyber-bullying resumed, and this time, I was the one who was banned, because they claimed that I was the one instigating all the trouble - which I didn't - and when I tried to come back, I got tossed out again immediately afterwards.

Needless to say, there are certain fandoms out there that are nothing but a congregation of assholes, and that fandom was certainly one of them. They take pride in being ugly and unpleasant to certain people who have differences in opinion.

Now, this isn't the case with TV Tropes, but still, the whole site has become one big killjoy anymore.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:I've had that problem at a forum as well, almost ten years ago in fact.

To sum up the story without naming names, or refering to which specific fandom it was, imagine this scenario: let's say that instead of being popular as she is, that Marina was instead a Scrappy that everybody in the fandom hated. That's pretty much what had me marked at this forum: I was a fan of the Scrappy that everybody else hated, that was the main reason they had it in for me. There were other personal reasons as well (Christianity for one), but that was the biggy.

Now, a few jerkasses took it upon themselves to cyber-bully me any chance they got . . . the admins did ban them, at first, but after sometime passed, those same guys actually came back, and when they did, the admins welcomed them with open arms. The cyber-bullying resumed, and this time, I was the one who was banned, because they claimed that I was the one instigating all the trouble - which I didn't - and when I tried to come back, I got tossed out again immediately afterwards.

Needless to say, there are certain fandoms out there that are nothing but a congregation of assholes, and that fandom was certainly one of them. They take pride in being ugly and unpleasant to certain people who have differences in opinion.

Now, this isn't the case with TV Tropes, but still, the whole site has become one big killjoy anymore.

I remember you told me about that. What is such the big deal that you like Scrappy? It's just your opinion. It's not like you insulted people for not liking him.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 pm

"Scrappy" is a term used to refer to a character within a media franchise that most people hate for one reason or another, usually because they're an annoying new character shoehorned into the show (ala how a lot of people feel about Ladonna), I don't mean Scrappy the character.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:32 pm

I have noticed that with Ladonna. Fan fiction for example. Authors I have messaged and wont name tend to dislike to her to the point of the ridiculous. One Author basically informed me he wishes she never existed and the others just omit her from their stories completely because shes not a decent character OR she is an idiot etc...
In honesty, not everyone who used to watch Arthur knows who Ladonna and the Compson family are since she is not an ongoing character and was only active in recent years and barely got many episodes at that. I remember three episodes where she was the center focus and one of them was her Debut...
so yeah I guess if you like a "Scrappy" as they are known then you are EVIL!!! or people just enjoy being rude and horrible to you about it Sad
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:25 am

TV Tropes is one of those sites that seems great on paper - a catalog for stock archetypes and cliches prominent in several forms of media. It probably started off well enough.
Then you add in petty politics along with an air of snobbery, a latent detachment from reality, and a sprinkle of hypocrisy, and you got yourself the most cringe-worthy website since Uncyclopedia.

I haven't browsed the place in ages simply because it got boring after a while. Looking at the current "establishment" reveals a hive of kiddies with no grip on reality. They fail at understanding context, sarcasm, and writing about anything that fails to conform to their own personal politics. The new format is an eyesore and even then the old site layout was not exactly convenient to navigate. It would be wrong to portray every last contributor as a freak (even I used to throw in the odd contribution or two - years ago), but the majority of them do not come off as professional.
I never actually had any trouble on the site myself, and was surprised to learn that it's fallen apart so badly.

I know some irritated users tried making their own version of "Tropes" with as much success as you'd anticipate. I suppose the idea of a cliches catalog is best left where it resides: 6 feet under the ground, with maggots crawling all over it. clown

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:48 pm

This is all very unfortunate - and I'd be every bit as frustrated.  It certainly sounds like they more or less pushed you out without any real justification.  Seriously, I'm getting the idea that it's one of those communities that's enjoyable to participate in when it comes to submitting ideas, but its uptight and heavy-handed bureaucrats make the experience an insufferable pain in the backside.

Bastards.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:58 pm

I went over to browse TV tropes, there are alot of rules and i cannot find the Cartoon fanfic section but if its a whole lot of people criticizing and feuding then theres no point
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:52 pm

Gah. Been having a pow-wow with these guys over my current suspension - they're holding old mistakes that I've already learned from against me and making it seem like I'm a bigger rule breaker that I even am. Heck, when I expressed how nervous and uneasy they make me feel about being a part of the community, they said they don't even care if I choose to leave.

Ironically, they keep saying they're all about promoting a friendly and civilized community, but when you make mistakes, they take a very condescending attitude with you about it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:19 am

They said they do not care if you leave? gee how welcoming... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
You are better off gone!! The place looks like a maze of rules and regulations anyway...
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:25 am

Yeah, that's just it: I'm fully aware they have a lot of rules, regulations, guidelines, policies, etc. And as I've said a million times, I try very hard to be very mindful of them, but they get very hostile and intoleratant of mistakes and infractions.

In fact, I mentioned to them that I found one rule they got me for to be inconsistently enforced, but it's like they did everything short of owning up to their own fault in the problem. One of the mods evern mentioned that this rule I apparently broke is an "all-too-common mistake" the community frequently makes . . . well, there must be a reason that this mistake it all-too-common, wouldn't you say? And I say that reason is the particular rule is inconsistent. But, again, they take no responsibility of their own.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:43 am

Off course they dont, they never do. Mods/Admins of forums that are run like schools tend to look for any excuse to ban a person. Warnings are given out all the time. That happened to me on an anime forum. People are rather harsh on anime forums and if you disagree with a characters personality then god help ya. I remember getting flamed by two horrible girls because i posted some fanart with credit to the DA artist and they kept mocking the fact it was DA meaning it was a pathetic excuse for art work. No double posts allowed or they deleted them, well this particular forum did anyway and they chose people and promoted them to mods depending on how "popular" they were with others....not how knowledgeable they were about topics or how friendly and welcoming. "Oh your post a pic is pretty, lets make you a mod"  "You like a popular character, do you wanna be mod?"
Then they can laugh at people and call them n00bs when they join but hey they are mods so they got away with it?
Another reason my IRL best friend stays away from forums, she joined one and was called a n00b simply for introducing herself on a death note forum.
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:05 am

God man, even admins can be corrupt
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:34 am

I know, right?
A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:01 am

LOL well as an Admin, Moms is notorious for torture, you should see the chambers he has...
*shudders* tongue tongue tongue
No, not the locked room again.....
Tentacle torture
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:03 am

Well, after spending a number of weeks having a pow-wow with the mods, they've decided that I'm apparently incapable of learning/following the rules, and are not going to lift my suspension from editing on their wiki.

And, fercryinoutloud, they're holding grudges over mistakes that I've made a long ago, and have since apologized for making them, and even learned from them -- but apparently, that isn't good enough for them. Hell, they've kept a log of all of my offenses like that of a hardened criminals (seriously, they showed me X-count for this, X-count for that, etc.) They're even saying one of my offenses is grammar. Uh, I'm not exactly an illiterate person, and English was one of my best subjects in school . . . but they say I use "too many commas." Yeah, when I was school, we were taught to use commas, and even semicolons - you know why? Because we were told writing too many short sentences and using too many periods was juvenile and amateurish. But, I guess they're of the common mentality that all commas and semicolons do is "prove you went to college (even though I didn't.)"

Eh, fuck it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:48 am

Okay, they sound like a packet of illiterate assholes.
"Der her her, maybe your big words are just too darn much for em", "golly gee, we aint got the book learnin to know that commas are meant to used in them big sentences" "wait, are we supposed to be usin em now?"

*Insert Ladonnas voice*
"Whats that thur semicon you be speakin of?" "Whoops did we say that right?" "Semicolon?" "I dont rightly know".....
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:25 pm

And it's ironic, because they say they want the pages and articles on the site to look as if they were written by the same person . . . that's darn-near impossible to do, considering they have several contributors who have different ways and methods of writing, not to mention not everybody uses the same English (it's not uncommon to find uses of American English and British English on the same page).

But yeah, talk about grudge holders. They were holding one mistake against me that I admit to making a long time ago, but in our discussion, I explained to them three times that I didn't understand how the procedure in question actually worked, and that it took me quite some time to figure it out, and that once I did, I went back and corrected my mistakes and avoided repeating it from then on (and again, this was some time ago): despite explaining that three times, that apparently only supported their decision that I'm not capable of learning and following their rules, hence why they've decided not to lift my suspension. Their exact words: "it's probably best that you stay suspended." Though, sadly, it probably didn't help my case that they popped a couple of rules on me that I didn't even know existed - that probably only convinced them more that I can't learn and follow their rules.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:42 pm

So if someone spells an article using British English (As I often tend to do) then it might be considered "WRONG" by their standards compared to the American English, or the other way around? If that is the case it shows their blatant ignorance for the English language and as you said, grammatically they do not like commas? Do they prefer that hurp a derp forum speak?

You know, the Idk, ROFL, TTYL etc? Gee its MOAR fun, as I have noticed that word is increasingly popular on Fan-fiction *sigh* mind you, when was grammar and issue on FF.net?

You know what else I have noticed on other forums/wikis?
It appears okay to say some of the most hurtful things toward other members, even getting into spats via keyboard that can go on from page to page which then end up in a group getting involved and having a good old laugh along, including the mods, yet if you double post, you get an account suspension. If the double posting continues you will be banned permanently.

You can call a person "dumb, retarded, ugly, fat or useless" on a certain forum which has nothing to do with Arthur or any of the Nickelodeon related shows and that is considered humorous but if you swear, thats it...BANNED!!!

Where do these double standards come from?
Why are they not in the rules, when the rules strictly state that harassment of any forum member will not be tolerated?
Naturally on a forum like that, downing Gay people is absolutely fine and mocking "Religious" people as we are known is perfectly acceptable, its even funny, but don't dare double post or make a crude joke with a swear word in it. You will be BANNED!!!!
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Well, keep in mind, the Slums is very lax about rules, and in fact, we really don't have any that we actually enforce for the most part, so if we have to call you out on something, you know it's serious business.

But not only that, but we're obviously an adult forum in terms of our themes and discussions, so we don't really have any rules against swearing or anything like that: however many other forums that cater to fans of children's franchises and such often garner younger members, so I know full well why they would impose rules against swearing and things like that to keep the forum clean and family-friendly for the sake of their younger members (Muppet Central is like this, just about the only swear words they let slide are "fricken" and "friggin"). But again, we're specifically for adult fans who like to dissect, analyze, and theorize over the show, its characters, episodes, themes, etc. that aren't necessarily for kids to get involved with, so we have very little rules since we don't have to worry about scarring little kids. Elwood City Central was more of a general Arthur forum, so it was a lot cleaner and more family-friendly, and had such rules against swearing or adult-oriented topics and such (Greg was even censored whenever he shared behind-the-scenes information regarding what the word D.W. learned in "Bleep" really was).

And yes, I hear you: it is quite a double-standard when you have forums that prohibit any kind of derogatory behavior towards members who are LGBT, but if you're a religious or spiritual member, that somehow automatically means you're a trouble maker and should remove yourself from the community (been there, done that).

As for double-posting . . . well, I can understand why forums implement that regulation, because it can cause clutter among the forum when you have two or more posts in a row from the same person in a thread. If a double-posting is the result of someone bumping an old thread that he/she was the last one to post in, that's understandable/forgiveable, but it's just un-necessary for people to make multiple posts in a row in a single thread when they could have easily fit it all in one post. The same goes for when people blatantly post one-word responses that don't really contribute to the discussion, or simply paraphrase what others have already said: years ago at Muppet Central, I remember they had problems with a guy who had a habit of simply posting "Yeah, I (totally) agree," in several threads - after a while, it really did get old and tiresome, and he was asked to stop, but he kept doing it, and they eventually suspended him. Now, we certainly wouldn't go that far here at the Slums, but there have been times in the past where a thread may be derailed with like, say, Luigi and Kerry bartering back-and-forth with one-word posts like "Yeah," "No," "Okay," "So," etc. When that happens, I will clean those posts out of a thread, again, mainly to keep clutter down to a minimum, and it really didn't contribute to the discussion - but they certainly don't get in trouble for it.

But let me clarify: no, they don't force you to conform to one form of English, I was just using that as an example of why it's not exactly practical that they want us to make the articles and pages "look like they were all written by the same person." Because TV Tropes is considered its own wiki, I can understand why they would want content to have a consistent look and read to them, but that's not exactly completely possible, since again, different people have different ways of writing . . . I just don't understand their beefs with me using "too many commas," unless it's short, babyish sentences they actually do want. But, since they don't want to lift my suspension, and since they don't even care if I leave altogether, I may just do that. They've proven themselves to no longer be the fun and engaging community they once were, they're now more like a bunch of cats just waiting for the little mice of the community to make the slightest mistakes so they can pounce.

Incidentally, here are some of my major contributions to TV Tropes over the years:
New Tropes
- The Law Firm Of Pun, Pun, and Wordplay
- Later Installment Weirdness
- Switch To Color (I was also working on a sister index for shows that switched from 4:3 fullscreen to 16:9 widesreen during their initial runs, but they nuked it because they assumed it was a complainy trope because of how I had written the draft)

Work Pages
- The Charlie Horse Music Pizza
- Greaser's Palace
- John R. Dilworth
- The Paul Lynde Halloween Special
- Peppermint Park
- Radio

And, just based on a lot of our observations here at the Slums, I also started up a HoYay page for Arthur that was quick to get other contributions.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top