Character color differences in early and later seasons

Go down

Character color differences in early and later seasons

Post by squid on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:03 pm

first, Muffy(barely notable)

Binky(you can't miss it)

George (hmmmm he was minor back then)

Sue Ellen (like Binky, this one's notable)

Lastly but not least, ARTHUR

Now add your own.
squid
Japanese School Girl
Japanese School Girl

View user profile http://jamesmedia.neocities.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Character color differences in early and later seasons

Post by Rummy on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:06 pm

I noticed that the early seasons were more unsaturated and grainy.

I'm not really a fan of the dull grayish color schemes, I love myself some bright, beautiful vibrant colors. That's why I can take in the newer season much better than most others can because of it's improvement in color and sharpness.
It looks really crisp and clean compared to the early seasons.
Rummy
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:56 am

I know right?  it was better back then like it awlays was.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:43 am

I love the old jaundiced colors - really fit the show's art style. The new stuff is way too clean looking.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:31 am

I really enjoyed the even lower saturation, almost monochrome colors of the old Arthur Adventure books.  They really contributed to the slightly spooky atmosphere.  I've always found soft, pastel colors to be more peaceful and relaxing.  It's funny, just like historical cinema and photography, the earlier back you go in time the lower saturation the colors become until eventually, it's almost pure black and white.  

A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Yes,I've noticed.I prefer the earlier seasons' color preference.The brightness hurts my eyes.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ITOLDYOUNOTTOTOUCHIT2001! on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned Mr. Haney.
ITOLDYOUNOTTOTOUCHIT2001!
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE:

Post by In_Correct on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 am

A Lotta Moms wrote:I really enjoyed the even lower saturation, almost monochrome colors of the old Arthur Adventure books.  They really contributed to the slightly spooky atmosphere.  I've always found soft, pastel colors to be more peaceful and relaxing.  It's funny, just like historical cinema and photography, the earlier back you go in time the lower saturation the colors become until eventually, it's almost pure black and white.  

It all ways seems that no matter the time period, the earlier episodes have a more earth toned colours with Ink Shadows. I don't know how else to describe them. But they prefer natural light instead of the "every light in the house is lit" Magnetic Tape episodes of television programmes. And especially when they add Ink Shadows, it does make it feel spookier.

There are many examples:

Space Angel used tons of Ink Shadows.

The first 105 episodes of Gatchaman used various animation and colour methods such as Ink Shadows, many dark colours, and multi plane backgrounds that look like oil paintings. The 1977 or 1978 "Pick Up Where We Left Off" movie, as well as Gatchaman II and Gatchaman F used a "Don't for get your sun glasses!" colour scheme.

As for Live Action programmes (even though it also made animated episodes) Star Trek all ways had dark colour schemes with natural lighting. The pilot movie The Cage used dark blue stained glass ceilings and metallic walls and neutral uniforms. But the series it self began to use plain, purple, non textured walls, bright red doors, and orange & yellow fake looking pipes in the corridors. But they still used natural lighting.

This lighting style made it into the first few episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. They had natural lighting and very dark uniforms and possibly camera filters to make every thing look professional. After the episode "The Ensigns Of Command", they began removing these features to the point of some episodes so bright, it is best to wear sun glasses. They toned it down again by the next season.

It seems Arthur has the same problem. The first six seasons had detailed back grounds to the point of colour variations to give the appearance of shadows from natural lighting. The characters seem to match the colour scheme. Much more recent episodes have the same few bright, solid, colours and is not the same quality.

In_Correct
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down